old shotgun i just inherited

NUKE HUNTER

IMG_2406.JPG

IMG_2396.JPG

IMG_2391.JPGmy father just passed and I just inherited all his guns, this one gun he had when he was in Italy, its a 16 gauge sxs with external hammers and two triggers, its old but id like to know more. I have no plans to sell it as it will go to my son so any help will be greatly appreciated.
on the strap in the middle of the barrels it says"fusil eprouve aux poudres blanches"
on the end of barrels near the receiver the left barrel says in gold lettering "damas crolle", then "extra full" on the right barrel.
I know what all this means but could someone tell me was it a popular French gun and what was the circulation ? any other info would be great.
thank you for the help
jerry

Last edited:
Nothing you have said shows the make or age of the gun, except that nitro proof Damascus is very late 19th or very early 20th century.

All markings and CLEAR pictures of the gun from as many angles as practical will help. Check the action when open and the barrels under the forearm for markings, as well.

Unless you can find an actual name (and better yet, address) don't get your hopes up about a positive ID. Guns of that type were made by both big makers and one man shops, literally from the later 1800s until the Second World war.

With the markings you found, I would venture it was made west of the Rhine. But, that's not an absolute. Belgian, French, or Italian would be my guess, as the English, German, and Spanish makers usually used their own languages.

I wish you luck, hopefully you will find some other marking(s) that allow for a better ID.

My condolences on your loss.
"...a popular French gun..." More likely one of the hordes of Belgian made shotguns. Before W.W. I there were hundreds of small shops around Liege churning out low end shotguns by the hundreds. Look for proof marks under the forestock.

Take the barrels off and take clear pics of all proof, inspection and other markings on the underside of the barrels and the receiver

thank you for your condolences,
there are a lot of faint markings all over that area and overlapping, just wasn't struck hard enough? this is the best I could do:
the most obvious is "D FRECS"
then "50 PLOME or PLOMBES"?
then "1 GR 81 POUDRE"?
then "BCN"?
all these markings were on both barrels and all over the place, very sketchy
I used a magnifying glass and different flashlights from different angles.
my father came from a dirt poor town, no water or electric in his shack. I'm thinking that the gun is not high quality or popular
any info would be cool
thank you

The marks are not clear but near as I can tell look rather like Belgian black powder proofs. But do not hold me to that, only a maybe from the picture.

i'll try the white chalk trick tomorrow, thanks for the tip
there was one marking on both barrels that I had written down but forgot it was "17.0" is that what the barrel was load tested?

"Damas crolle" would seem to mean "Crolie Damascus", since the only meaning I know of for "Croile" is as a proper name. It is probably the maker of the gun or at least of the barrels.

The proof marks are Belgian, not French and consistent with a Liege-made gun for black or low pressure smokeless ("white") powder. I can't identify the other markings except that "poudre" means "powder" and "plombe" is lead, the metal.

I strongly suggest you treat the gun as an heirloom and keep it in memory of your father, but not attempt to fire it.

Jim

my father went back to Italy in 1995? just to get that gun, went through hell to get it here. he actually went rabbit hunting with it once, he fired both barrels at a cottontail with his head turned, missed the rabbit but was happy a heck his face was still there. never seen him so happy. he retired it right after that.
this gun is going to stay in the family for sure jim

Belgian elg in oval, perron, and what looks like the 16 g shotgun proof.
Probably late 19th century, damask barrel in poor shape - don't shoot it.

That's not a firing gun, that's for sure.

I think I'd take it to a good smith for preservation.
I know I've had one of my inherited guns cerrakoted, but that might be all wrong for yours.

Thorough cleaning, derusted as needed, and sealed away from rust in the correct method to make sure it outlive many more generations.

Condolences on your loss.

Back