Old Savage 22-410 forend

Guv

I just got an old Savage 22-410 from a friend and the snap-on snaps on really loosely. Should I slightly straighten the spring loaded curved latch inside the forend? It has a new wooden forend and hardware from Gunparts that snaps closed, but very weakly. The original plastic one was in really bad shape.
Thanks

it never hurts to try the easiest thing first.
then spend money.
I had one do that. I just ended up selling it and moved up to a better quality gun.
mine was a 30-30/20ga.

Not all Gunparts they sell are created equal. Some are used, some unused, and other might be missmatched although they do their best.

I had a few springs that were incorrect. Can you shim he contact area of he spring? Or I would buy another spring and see how that goes.

Thanks Guy's
I have tried 3 different springs, tried tweaking them (and them breaking :mad:), shims under the spring fixture, shims between the forearm and pivot hardware. Nothing seems to really help, it snaps in place well enough but un-snaps way to easy. It's old and from a friend so trading it for something better is out and I just want it functional, certainly not as a regular plinker.

Over center

The forend goes "over center" on the spring to stay in place. The geometry is critical to get it functioning perfectly. The forend will not be secure if it does not go over center on the spring far enough.
Hard to describe in words. may need to remove some wood from the barrel channel to increase the distance it goes over center.

Thanks Ricklin,
I have another old forend I can experiment with, it definitely feels like it isn't going over center.

Back