old savage 110 in 3006 at pawn shop

ben_419

Inactive
hello everyone i am new here and well im planning in hunting next season
for deer or elk. It will be my first hunt. Im not new to guns i have i have had an AR 15 for about 5 months now but as far as bolt action rifles i know little. I went to the pawn shop and saw a wood stock savage model 110 bolt action in 3006. The stock was a little loose from the metal. But i noticed that the allen bolts were a little lose at the bottom so just a little tweaking should take care of that i think. Its on sale for $350, it that a good price? good gun? Should i keep looking, or what do you think is a reasonable offer to give them? thanks for your input i really appreciate it.

ben

I'm assuming it's used. If it's a pre-accutrigger gun, I think 350 is on the high side. 275 is fair, 225 would be a steal. Unless this rifle in the pawn shot is in pristine un-fired condition, and even then 350 is high. I would offer 275 if it's in great condition (no finish wear, no dings on the stock, etc.), and be prepared to work up a little bit.

BTW, you can't go wrong with a Savage.

thank you for your input. Oh yeah its used alright but looks decent i figured that the new ones are synthetic stock instead of wood, i should have put 'used' instead of 'old'. Sorry for the misleading. i plan on putting it on layaway tommoro, if i can get a good deal. I know, pawn shops are not the ideal places to get guns ha but lets see how this plays out. Thank you guys so much :)

Some things to consider,
I had the same rifle in 300wm. It was a very serviceable, usable hunting rifle. Unfortunately, I didn't like it for a couple reasons.

First: It was a generic frame/action which was effectively built for any and all calibers. It had a standard form stock, standard pencil thin barrel. Personally, I think a rifle should be built with the caliber in mind. The stock configuration for a .243 should be entirely different than a 300wm. The recoil is different, etc. Mine hurt so bad that I had to modify it heavily to make it usable on the range. I'm not recoil intolerant. The stock was walnut stained hickory or something...very hard.
Second: I was very disappointed in the barrel. It would hold only zero for a couple shots, and then started stringing rounds as the barrel heated up. Not my kind of accuaracy.
I don't doubt it would have held up foreverish but I found a different brand which worked much better for me.
elkman06

Point out the loose stock and offer them $275. Settle for $300. Spend the $50 you save having a smith check it out and tighten it up.

Get them down to $300.00 , then you can afford to take it to a Smith and get the recoil lug straightened and the action Glass Bedded !

I bought the exact gun you are describing for $175. I bought it with the intention of rebarreling it. I did just that. After refinishing the stock, I added a longer .270 barrel. Now I love that rifle.

I just sold a very nice pre-accutrigger savage 110 in .30-06 for $330 including some ammo and a cheap scope. then last october me and my dad bought one in .270 for my step-mom for $250. unless it was like-new and had a really nice scope $300 is as high as I would go. 110's are great rifles but aren't hard to find. if you can't get it for $300 then pass. you'll probably be able to find another.

depends

Savage has made some very nice wood stocked rifles up in walnut. I have a J-series 110/.243 that is so stocked and the grain and figure is hard to believe
for a working man's rifle.

But a huge number of Savage 110 were stocked in birch and were very generic and plain in appearance. I would want to pay less than $300 for a birch stocked 110, especially now in the off season.

That's a horrible price for that rifle. The max I'd considering paying would be $200 for it in that condition, or $250 max if it was in brand new condition. The only way I'd ever consider $350 for that gun is if it came with a Leupold VX-II or similar priced scope and was in brand new shape. You can buy a Savage 110 at Walmart for $387 with a scope and this one has the accu trigger which is great. It is a synthetic stock, but it's a much better deal imo due to the accu trigger and being brand new. Some of them have Simmons scopes, and some I've seen have Bushnell's so it seems to just depend on when they put the scope on there.

I did the exact same thing you did. I bought a preowned Savage 110 pre-Accutrigger 30-06 with a Bushnell Banner 4X12-40mm, sling, and gun case from a pawn shop. Probably originally a package deal from Savage.
I paid $350.00 for mine, which I have found out since was a little too much. Oh well! The stock is beautiful and the gun looked like it had been a closet queen for sometime. Great shooting rifle! Nothing wrong with the trigger.I really like it. I replaced the Banner with a Leupold Rifleman 3X12-40mm.
Recently I bought a T/C Venture 30-06 and had a Nikon Monarch 2.5X10-50mm scope mounted on it. Love the rifle and REALLY love the scope. My Savage may become a closet queen again.
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l...current=Savage110Leupoldscope5-10-2010003.jpg

Pawn shops are generally overpriced for used rifles (although you can find good deals too if you look enough). Since hunting season is still a ways away yet and 30-06's are plentiful pass on this Savage if you can't talk them down. Odds are the Pawn Shop doesn't have but 200 into the rifle so you may be able to talk them down.

If not, keep an eye out in the classifieds and maybe put out a ad in a "wanted" section.

Jimro

Back