Old Sako 270

backbone

Inactive
I have aquired an old SAKO. I have been all over net,SAKO web site put it manufactured between 5/23/77 and3/6/78. IT also showed it is 113 of 901 made,with the only( seven digit serial numbers) SAKOs special numbering ,before stamp change to av or something simliar.270 cal ,average looking for its age, Finnbear rifle.NOW what do I have.

Backbone may have obtained his info at the site listed below. It in fact has an entry for a seven digit serial number, and for the timeframe he has given. I'm not sure what he's looking for though; he's done most of the work. The only other thing to mention is that his rifle seems to have the L61R action, which shortly thereafter had a stamp change to the A-III action. Not sure if it's a Finnbear or not... may well be. Another note: the sequential serial number range given does equate to 901 specimens of this rifle being made. However, Sako didn't always follow sequence. In other words, there may be less than that number of rifles in existence. Pics are always nice. ;)

I have also seen your post regarding another Sako, Pahohunter. I didn't respond because I just don't know. I thought a model 74 had skip checkering, but the one in the photo didn't seem to have it. But.... I'm no expert. Too bad the best book on the subject is in Finnish. :eek:

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/datatables/SakoOldmodelsNumbering.pdf

BTW The Sako users group/forum is moving from msn to Yahoo. The above site is the new, Yahoo location. May require free registration??

Sako Mauser

The one I looked at on GUNBROKER was an early SAKO, when they used FN actions,(pre model 74) just like the one I have on my J.C. HIGGINS from the 1950's. The safety and bolt do not lend there selves to scope mounting. I'll have to check out that site you listed.

old sako 270 pics

yes received sako info from web.just curios live in a state rifle hunting is prohibited,need info for a buyer,never enough info.

Back