old saeco melter

dr1445

I came across a saeco bottom feed, ¾ full of soft lead for $5, plugged it in and it melts lead. It looks like a model 24 10lbs unit, with a thermostat that goes to 900. I have a lee 450-200-1r conical mold from cabela's on order, currently listed as shipped for in store pick up. A fellow shooter gave me 20lbs of roof lead which should be soft. Now I need a face visor from harbor freight for $4 and an old spoon, maybe a baking pan, gloves I have. The dec sale pietta needed to have the frame filed and ground for clearance to fit a conical. I will be doing my casting outside on my deck, I could be casting next week if the weather cooperates.

I recommend getting an electric hotplate -- the old-fashioned kind with open coils -- and a 1 quart (or thereabouts) steel saucepan. You want to melt the scrap lead separate from your Saeco so you don't get crap in the pour spout and/or inclusions in your bullets. You can also use a camp stove.

Congrats on the great find; I'm jealous :)

Basement dweller here, not much air moving about. There is a garage but this time of year it is cold and no sun, still if the weather is bad it is an option. The deck gets sun most of the day, the snow melts quickly there.

Back