Old S&W Model 19

ShooterJD

Inactive
I have a chance to buy a model 19 made in 1959.The gun appears to never been fired, no scratches of any kind and excellent bluing.I want this gun for a shooter and not to collect dust.My questions, will this older model hold up to today's hi power ammo? Were the guns made of that era considered to be better made by today's standards? Is $550 to high a price for this gun. Any info is greatly appreciated, ShooterJD

The older guns should hold up just fine.

But, I think that $550 is WAY too much to pay for a Model 19. That's really a collectors price, and is on the high end of that.

Haunt the gunshow circuit, and you should be able to find plenty of very good used 19s for $200 or even $300 less than what the seller is asking for the one you mention.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a S&W mod 27 with Stag grips in extremely nice condition for $375.00. Was it the original bluing? I don't know. $550.00 seems way to high. It's really a personal discision. I think $1,500.00 for a 1911 is ridiculous. But that's just me. Good Luck, J. Parker

Great gun. Modern ammo less punch then ammo of that time. Price way too high.

Where you get off callin a 50s gun old?

Sam..

Yes, I would have to agree. $550 is awfully high. I have a 2 19's. One made in 69 the other in 72. Both cost me $250.

JD-does the Model 19 come with the original box, tools and paperwork??? Do the grips appear to be original??? Is it a Model 19 with NO "dash number" or is it a 19-1??? If a 19 " no dash" WITH box, tools, etc., it MIGHT be worth $400.00-450.00, IF it was NEW or AS-NEW...the only 19's I can think of that MIGHT be worth $550.00 would be the ORIGINAL "Combat Magnum" with NO Model # markings on it OR one of the rare three-inch barreled or five-inch barreled guns. These "vintage"--didn't want to say "older"--S&W's can be real perplexing sometimes...easy to get burned if you're not careful...please DON'T ASK how I know!!!....mikey357

The original run of 3" guns (not the later full-lugged Performance Center guns) bring a LOT more money than $550 in this condition, normally a lot closer to $1,000.

That would be close to the correct price for a 5" gun.

The only thing that I can think that might be more expensive than one of those would be a factory-made 8-3/8" barreled Model 19, of which only a couple are known, and apparently were made by workers as WTF guns using Model 15 barrels.

A lot more have been cobbled together over the years, and aren't worth anything near that.

JD I paid $260 NIB from a shop, blue, 3" barrel and combat grips and I wouldn't part with her for anything. (that was about 6 years ago) Shop around, S&W made a 586/686 I see with with a short barrel as well that wuld be a great carry piece. . Check Gunbroker.com
You would never regret a short Model 19 though

Karsten

Yep, as other's have stated the price is WAY TOO HIGH for
a model 19; unless it's one of the rare breeds in mint
condition that mikey357 mentioned.:):D For a LNIB Smith
& Wesson model 19, I don't think I would give over $300.00
bucks for it?:eek::rolleyes:

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Well now.....your talking a pistol I enjoy.....I just purchase a mdl66 no dash, for $300.....the last pinned/recessed 19 4" I bought was about 6mos ago?....it was $350........just depends on how much its worth to you......the K-frames do have some fraility to them that has been corrected in the 686. With normal usuage you most likely will never experience a problem.....Ive owned literally dozens of these mdl's and currently own 6 in stainless and one thats blued....Ive never experienced the "problems" that people will tell you these guns have, like the forcing cone splitting on the bottom were the barrel is flat----but I know it happens. Ive also heard that the side plate screws work out using full power loads......Ive never experienced that....my 66/19 are regulated for the federal 125gr.........still I have no problems.....but Ive yet to see a mdl 19/66 that I would pay over $350 for.........fubsy.

Honestly, I have never had to pay more than $300 at gun shows for: 27, 28, 19, 66, 686, 60, 49.
Have to deal, best on last day of show. IMHO

I have to jump in and say that there is a nice model 19 at my local shop 6" barrel. It has been fired, but is in excellent condition. They are asking $285 and it is on consignment which normally means that the price is a little high because the seller is trying to recoup the consignment fee. If you are looking for a shooter then look for one that has been slightly used and stay under $300.

Area has a lot to do with price,......by all means if you can pick one up cheaply---I would do it.

Makarov, email me the number of your local store with that 6" mdl 19 will ya......I wouldnt mind having one in that length, although I normally stay in the 3" or 4" range....fubsy.

I got my 19 for $300.00, but would not sell it for $550.00.
Target trigger and hammer, great action, and smoooth as silk.
It is one of my favorites.
Happy Intruder Shooting............

Back