Old S&W Military & Police

birdman

I have a friend that has an old .38 spcl Military & Police that he would like to know the manufacture date. It has the old half moon front sight and a kind of spur hammer. It is a tapered 4" barrel; round butt; with what appears to be genuine stag grips. Serial number is C1423XX. Does anyone have info on this revolver? regards, birdman

I have one. The model later became known as the model 10. It was the main stay of S&W revolver line for near a century. See if it has a screw just forward of the the finger guard. If it does it probably is a "five screw" design, common to that era. Can't help you on the date, sorry. I would guess around the 30's or 40's though. Other TFL members will probably help out on the date. Have you shot it yet? Let us know if you do.

birdman

I'll bet that if you re-post this same question in TFL's "Harley Nolden's Institute" section you'll receive considerable information.

It's definately post WWII, as the C prefix indicates. It's almost certainly a 5-screw. I don't have access to my Jinks catalog, so I can't help you out more.

Crap.

Another message to which I replied, and which was lost in the recent data dump.

Sigh.

Ok, by my figuring and by the numbers quoted in Supica & Nahaus, your gun would have been made right around 1950.

Back