Old S&W, but how old is it?

With that serial number in .38 Special, it would almost have to be an M&P, Model of 1905, Second Change, dating to 1908-1909.

Jim

Please post pictures. :)

Also, two other questions...
The serial # is 127585.
(1) Where did you find this number?

The definitive serial number on a S&W revolver is found on the butt; on a few small-frame models, it may be on the front of the grip frame.

Older S&Ws often have the number repeated on the underside of the barrel and on the cylinder face, but these parts may have been replaced, so these numbers are primarily used to verify whether the gun is all-original. Take note that the number inside the yoke cut often is NOT the serial number; it may be an assembly number used to coordinate parts in the factory, which became meaningless when the gun left there.

(2) Is there an alphabetical prefix? If so, it is part of the serial number, and is very important for identifying the gun's age and type. Be aware that there may be some space between the prefix and the numeric portion, particularly if the gun has or formerly had a lanyard loop; the S&W factory has been known to stamp the letter on one side of the loop, and the number on the other.

" it may be an assembly number"

I have never, in my many years of fondling, drooling over, shooting, and collecting S&W revolvers, seen a 6-digit assembly floor number.

A quick and easy search of 'smith & wesson serial numbers' will give you an answer in minutes. Will also help in finding correctly where the serial number is and other important info on the gun. Just did that myself last week.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Back