Old Rossi snubnose identification

seeker24

Greetings. This is my first post here, and it's a long one.

I have inherited an old Rossi 38 Special snubnose 5 shot revolver.

Blued finish, 1 3/4" barrel stamped on left "AMADEO ROSSI & CIA" over "SAO LEOPOLDO R. S." to the best I can make out, and ".38 SPECIAL" on the right. On the right side frame is stamped "MADE IN BRAZIL" over "FIREARMS INT'L CORP" over "WASHINGTON, D.C." and "IND. BRAS. MARC. REG." around a stylized Rossi. The cylinder release is a slide button with concentric circles in a concave pattern. The cylinder frame is stamped 759 with a K above, and the same characters appear on the frame under the woodgrain plastic grips and on the cylinder under the extractor fingers. The grips have a rounded top and are ridiculously tiny for the weight of the revolver.

The cylinder has an extractor. The hammer and trigger are silver finish. The front sight is a stepped ramp, and the rear sight is a fixed notch.

The serial number is 28xxx and is located on the bottom of the grip frame.

This revolver has been in the family for a couple of generations, since before firearm registration in my state, and in order to legally convey it I will need to register it. In order to register it, I need the model, and despite purchasing BBGV and a week of internet prowling, I am no closer to finding it. Any assistance in identifying it with a positively id'd twin or advertisement or other verifiable resource would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20240530_223013 - Copy.jpg
    20240530_223013 - Copy.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 20240530_222753 - Copy.jpg
    20240530_222753 - Copy.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 92
  • 20240530_222805 - Copy.jpg
    20240530_222805 - Copy.jpg
    673 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
still not sure...

That is definitely the same model, but I'm not 100% on the Model 68 designation. BBGV, for what it's worth, shows the Model 68 with a very different grip design that would not fit this frame. Other dealer listings for Model 68 in BBGV also show a different grip frame, release button, and black hammer and trigger, and show as Interarms imports.

I also pulled out an accurate ruler, and the barrel is only 1 3/4" rather than the 2" I eyeballed.

I know that some models may run a long time and are subject to change, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of good info on the F.I.C era Rossi revolvers.

I just found this Rossi 27, that is identical to mine as well. https://www.guns.com/firearms/handg...-spl-revolver-5-rounds-2-barrel-used?p=861405

and another:
https://www.thefirearmsforum.com/threads/rossi-model-27.217541/

is there anyone here familiar with this model who can help confirm or shoot down the id?

Last edited:
No help on the ID but did you measure the barrel all the way to the end of the chamber or did you stop at the frame?

did you measure the barrel all the way to the end of the chamber or did you stop at the frame?

Revolver barrels are measured from the muzzle to the end of the barrel where it protrudes from the frame. Chamber length is NOT included.

Semi auto and other barrels where the chamber is part of the barrel (not a separate piece) do include the chamber in the barrel length measurement.

IIRC, both Rossi and S&W were both owned by the same holding company, at one time, and I believe Rossi got some benefit from S&W's expertise.

I do agree that I would choose a Rossi over a Taurus DA revolver.

Back