old powder

Toddco

So i have some powder that has been around for a spell. My question about it is: Can i find a burn rate for a specific measured amount in order to tell if the powder is still useble to reload with? In burning a small amount it seems to burn ok, i do not have easy access to a range to be able to go chrony some loaded ones.

Do not use

If you do not know what brand name the powder is do not use it. There is no test you can perform to determine the properties of the powder.

Right.
What is the brand and designation?
Are you sure that is what is in the can?
How long is a spell?
Is it free of fumes, dust, and rust?

You can have 40 year old unique and still load it with unique data if it was stored right. If it wasn't stored right it will have an odd smell and look and should be discarded. The older metal cans could rust. The paper/metal cans could separate and allow the powder to absorb moisture from the air. If you know what powder you have, you might still be able to use it but it may not reach published velocities. If it's just random no name powder build a few rocket engines in a safe location and light them off at night. 14 oz soup cans with an open top are very cool to watch flare up like a rocket when you toss in a lit match on top of some smokeless powder scrap. Just place a thin layer of powder on the bottom of the can and from a distance toss in a match keeping your face clear:( Be careful the flame can form a jet more than a foot high. Smokeless powder doesn't detonate unless you have it contained. The open top soup can just directs and focuses the expanding gases straight up.

There are labs that could test a sample and determine the approximate burn rate. Unless you have several hundred pounds of the powder the cost will almost certainly be more than the value of the powder you have.

Otherwise, its a guessing game. Powder that looks and smells ok could be ok to use, or it could be deteriorated in some way so that loading it by the established data might be dangerous.

Looking at a small sample burned and judging it by eye tells you nothing other than it burned.

Can i find a burn rate for a specific measured amount in order to tell if the powder is still useble to reload with?

The short answer is "no".

If it smells ok and it does not have color changes in the grains, you can try a low level load and shoot it.

Burning it in the open tells you nothing.

I have shot some pretty old powders and I have had some newer ones date wise that clearly were going bad and I threw on the lawn before I found that was non sat and now I just put on a board and burn them during the winter for a bright sparkly display.

Back