Old powder containers

jonjon00

Inactive
Just got a bunch of reloading stuff from an estate sale. It included a few older containers of powder. Once I get done disposing of all the old powder from the open containers I was wondering if the older ones might be collectable. Would there be any market or interest in such a thing?
d83d135dbc3f06af5c6875d4dc713d28.jpg

Last edited:
There are folks who collect old containers for ammunition and reloading components, but I have no clue as to values and don't know if the canister you have is old enough to be of interest to them. I have one like that that still has good powder in it.

There are people who collect old containers for anything and everything. As a Jeep guy, I hang onto any old containers from automotive chemicals that are actual cans (metal), rather than the plastic everything comes in today.

To assess the potential market, check out the Etsy web site.

Put a search like "collectible gunpowder containers" or cans or tins into your favorite internet search engine.

I have to say any of the cardboard tubes like that I consider too "new" to be very collectible. But then I inherited some with labels like "semi-smokeless powder" and may just be too old as I remember when that canister was introduced.

A gun shop/ffl I use has some on display. I talked to them once about it. They said they don't have value. I have a few obsolete powder containers, with powders I do not want to put in my guns. I am thinking I should round them up and double their display, after dumping and burning off of the old powders.

The old metal cans that predate the fiberboard tubes have some antique value. The powder "can" in the pic is exactly what I bought in the late 60s and on up until they went to the plastic containers. I still have several on my shelves and the powder in them is still good. (mine, anyway, don't know about yours, :D)

Are you sure the powder is bad? I have some powder at least as old as that that still good.
Interesting question, and no I do not. These powders are SR7625 and 4756, plus a couple others. Most were 8 oz sive "pint" cans. Someone gave a me a box of stuff in 1990's. No known history before that. There is not a lot in them. I have looked at the old load data, and decided that BE86, Power Pistol and CFEPistol will all do better. Therefore I do not want to mess with old powder for 50-100 rounds. I would rather have performance rounds, in new brass with Barnes copper bullets and max velocity. So those are good for a pyrotechnic display, or singe the wings off mosquitos.
Another example are powders I bought new: R12, and IMR 4320. I bought those new, and will keep and load those, unless I detect deterioration.
We had a recall on some Accurate powders a year or so back, and I had 1 lb of A2495. I didn't bother with the refund, but, now I have a need to inspect all my powders (or at least open containers. to check. I think it was Frankenmauser who said the deterioration can spread. On top of that I have some shotgun powders from in a box in the garage, I need to find and inspect.

Are you sure the powder is bad? I have some powder at least as old as that that still good.

Tony
I really have no idea if it is still usable. I am looking at it like this. I have been reloading for 10 years and in that time powder has only been sold in a plastic container. So this is at least a decade old and been sitting in a barn.... and on top of that I have no way to know what is in the container is actually what the label says.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

I'd bet that what's on the label is what's in the can. If it smells similar to your known good powders it's all right. Bad powder, smells bad or at least really odd. Stored in a barn isn't necessarily bad either.

I've been reloading for 35 years or so and I remember when the cans changed. It was all about cheaper packaging...

Tony

I really have no idea if it is still usable. I am looking at it like this. I have been reloading for 10 years and in that time powder has only been sold in a plastic container. So this is at least a decade old and been sitting in a barn...
That powder is a LOT older than 10 years. I began to reload in 1976, and those are the types of Hercules cans that were in use during that time. That 2400 may not have been made in 1976, but it is certainly from that era.

Stored correctly in the correct environment, powder will last a very, very long time. But, since you stated that that can came out of a barn, the temperature and humidity swings would have been all over the place for years. Powder isn't that expensive. I'd dump it.

Lots of old powder containers offered on ebay under “vintage hunting tins.” You can get an idea if you have something saleable there. Fun to browse the old cans; nostalgia trip if nothing else. I’ve got an old H110 container says $9.95 on the lid. Powder’s still good, too. Shot some reloads through my Ruger NMB .41 mag not terribly long ago, and that powder’s still just fine.

I still have several pounds in the same containers (Bullseye, Unique and 2400). Mine has been stored in my Gun Safe with a Goldenrod so... I've been Loading some of mine. As Long as it was kept dry, it should be good.

Some of the oldest ammo I've shot were some '43 or '44 9mm. It shot but sounded like Fire Crackers POW, POP, POP, POW, POW... but it cycled the gun.

Alliant (currently owned by Vista Outdoors holding Co.) bought the Hercules Powder CO in 1995. Rumour has it that Hercules introduced 2400 in 1932.
Sealed, unopened, powder is probably OK, depending on where and how it was stored. Stored in a barn it's probably bad due to the changes in temperatures humidity that'll destroy gun powder. Still makes good fertilizer.
A great deal depends on the material the 'can' is made outta. Metal and plastic should be fine. Cardboard probably is not. Cardboard absorbs moisture just sitting there.
Anyway, people collect the daftest stuff, but it has to be in much better condition than that can.

Back