Old pietta remmy

BerdanSS

What would you guys say to an early steel framed pietta 58 new army, lightly worn bluing on the on the barrel and loading lever (holster wear) and a light turn ring (no gouging) on the cylinder for 100 clams?

Other than the bluing and turn ring the pistol is perfectly functional with good timing and tight lockup.

<EDIT> also, on a side note I've never personally had a '58 before. So this puzzles me a little,in the picture I was sent the frame seems to be color case hardened. I was under the impression the Remingtons should be all blue on the steel framed versions :confused:

Last edited:
If its functional, and no pitting, I cant see where ya could really go wrong for $100... Wish i could run up on deals like that!

Of you can get cell phone picture and post it, it would help. Not heard of a case hardened frame though but how knows. I own 6 '58 remmies. But I'm by no means an authority on them.

All....

Some of the bluing on Remington clones changed colors after exposure to BP or remnants. It is a deep redish blue. I actually kind of like it.

Might be that.

I agree that it is easily worth 100.00.

towboat-er I think your right with that, I didn't know they came that way. I like it. $100 would be a good price if all else is in order.

$100 seems like a very fair price if it's functional and there isn't a lot of pitting, etc. - clean chambers and bore - or at least "usable". I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat at that price. :)

towboat,

yes like that except for plain grips instead of checkered. And the bluing is worn. The chambers look okay and he says there's no pitting at all, just bluing worn off from holster.

well here's a picture (and a bad one at that:rolleyes:)

According to the seller, the pistol has far more finish wear than from shooting....from lots of drawing/holstering and being stored in the leather holster pictured with the pistol. He said it's actually been fired very little, and the last time was about 8 years ago. After which he said it was cleaned, oiled and put in the holster for storage. The frame to me looks like it's case hardened, the seller wasn't sure what I meant by that so he couldn't say other than that the color on the frame is "mottled" and "varies all over". It doesn't appear to have the typical plum brown appearance the blued steel ones seem to develop over time.

I did see a good close up picture of both the cylinder, chamber and around the forcing cone. chambers look smooth and the rest is rust/pit free. It should be here by Saturday, so I will post detailed pictures in good lighting then.

I do believe though for a finish worn steel '58, in excellent shooting condition with a leather holster ( although probably a cheap one)....I could of done worse for $100 ;)

Also, while there is a pretty good drag line on the cylinder. He has assured me its just the bluing and the metal itself is not gouged. He also sent a close up of the hand and bolt. Both look to have crisp edges, and are not mashed or damaged.

That looks like a great deal for $100. It may have a little finish mileage on it but it should be a good shooter. If the finish bothers you . . strip it and "antique" it. A lot of revolvers do develop drag lines over time but if they remain in time and lock up tight, it's strictly "cosmetic". I have vintage Smiths with drag lines on them and they are still great shooters. For the price you paid, I think you got a whole lot of enjoyment coming your way! Congrats and let us know how she shoots! :)

Heck! The dag gone holster is worth

I'd have been on the deal like a wolverine on a pop tart. (R.D. Mercer)

Heheh, thanks Doc:D I'm pretty interested to see the quality of the holster when it gets here (got my fingers crossed for it to be by Saturday) I'm pretty excited to try it. While I've handled them quite a bit, and carried one a piece while reenacting...I've never shot a REMMY. Always been an open top man I guess :rolleyes:

Back