Old Musket Barrel Markings

aehall10

Inactive
I don't want to beat a dead horse, because I know you gents have probably offered as much as you're able (which is greatly valued), but Tom asked for a few close-ups of the barrel markings. I searched the Standard Directory of Proof Marks, as well as the most common links on-line, but I'm still uncertain.

IMG_4196.jpg

IMG_4188.jpg

IMG_4191.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4204.jpg

Well the round looks like crossed rifles or muskets but I was hoping there may have been more details to it besides what the first fuzzy photo showed. I am still coming up blank but now that you have good photos of the marks on file, that is good to have in case you post the photos on some collectors forum or the like, if you get no joy here. They may be private proofs instead of official proofmarks of an established proof house. I am still looking but most online sites show proofs of commercial or military guns used since the middle of the 19th century or 20th. I was looking in a book that showed some 18th century marks but I did not see that one. Will keep my eyes open.

Proof Marks

I ordered two books yesterday to increase my library of proof marks. Even if I don't find my items there, I will be sure to try helping you gents with them. Incidentally, two crossed rifles..... House of Eibar -- Spain?

Thanks for everything.

Back