Old Marlin 39-A Assembly Instructions

bwflorida

Inactive
Looking for assembly instructions for an old Marlin 39-A, 3-digit serial number (7xx, no letter prefix), and the case-hardened receiver, circa 1939 I believe.

Thanks!!!

bwflorida:

This is a little tough, since not much exists for total disassembly or reassembly, just field stripping.
One possible set of instructions is in the book "Firearms Assembly and Disassembly: Part Three .22 Rim-fire".
This is a Guns Digest publication you can buy from most book stores or from Brownell's:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/st...?p=5761&title=FIREARMS+ASSEMBLY+&+DISASSEMBLY

Note that this will not cover the hammer spring and hammer assembly of your older rifle, but you can figure that out.

I recommend letting a gunsmith do it, since some parts may be missing and He'll know what they are.
Otherwise, you can spend a long time trying to get things together, only to realize something isn't there.

One caution: BE VERY CAREFUL when installing the forearm cap.
This is difficult to reassemble and it's VERY easy to strip the screws or the tenon they screw into. Probably the majority of older Marlin's that have been disassembled do have cross threaded and damaged tenons.
The problem here is, the forearm cap doesn't want to go on far enough, and the screws tend to enter at an angle and cross thread.

If you MUST do it yourself, post here and I'll try to post instructions for reassembly, but I'd get the book from Brownell's..

Back