Old M1, modern ammo?

Headgear

My brother and I are going to take a trip up to Camp Perry in a couple of weeks and pick out a couple of Garands. (Hell Ya!!!) Sorry I'm a little excited.

Is it safe to shoot modern 30-06 ammo in them? I would not want to run old corrosive ammo though it. If not, could I roll my own and tone them down to a safe level?

Thanks
David

The general consensus is that modern .30-06 ammo will possibly bend the op rod on a Garand. You can remedy this by chanding the gas plug or shooting surplus ammo.

Federal or someone is coming out with a load for Garands that does not exceed the milspecs. There is plenty of ammo around for them. If the CMP still is selling the Greek ammo in clips, that might be a good start for now. I think most of the white box ball ammo from the US makers in the past has been compatible, as it is not bumped up in power for hunting. You could also see what people are using, on the CMP forums. You can load your own ammo too. Just be aware of the QC you must adhere to for ammo used in semiautos versus bolt guns. Like no high primers, maybe mil spec primers, probably full length resizing, OAL, powder charges, etc.

Is it safe to shoot modern 30-06 ammo in them? I would not want to run old corrosive ammo though it. If not, could I roll my own and tone them down to a safe level?

Not all "M2 ball" 30-06 ammunition is corrosive primer. Just an FYI :) Easiest solution is the adjustable gas plug, if you're worried about using modern ammo. Do your tweaking before Camp Perry though

...but ain't all M1 rifles old? ;)

You can run any good quality commercial ammo under 180 gr bullet if you use a adjustable gas screw. No commercial ammo without it unless specifically designed for the Garand
Federal and Hornady both make a commercial Garand specific load but priciy
While CMP is currently out of mail order surplus ammo ,small quanities are available at the stores

Back