Old H & R 900 .22

Arkshooter

Inactive
Good morning everyone! First post here. Glad I found the place. My father in law gave me an old H&R 900 .22lr 9 shot revolver and its in great shape....appearance wise. No rust AT ALL and bluing is perfect and grips are perfect. DA shooting works flawlessly but when cocking the hammer for SA shooting, it sometimes doesn't engage the trigger and pull it back. I took the grips off and the cylinder out and cleaned it really well with Gun Scrubber to get rid of all the build up in it and then oiled it really well and it didn't help. I noticed a piece of white plastic up in the grip so pulled out the mainspring assemble (also called the Hammer Spring assembly I think) and found this...

am43g1.jpg

From my research, that part appears to break quite often. No worries on that, I found the replacement part (http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=276950F&catid=7918) that is STEEL and not plastic so that fixes that problem. Now to my main question, would this broken part cause the problem I mentioned above with shooting SA and the hammer not picking up the trigger when I cock it? If so, great...if not, any ideas? Do I need to drop the trigger assembly out and look for a broken spring or am I just asking for trouble by removing the trigger assembly? Thanks everyone!

Here is the gun I have (best picture I have right now ha)

16apb2c.jpg

Last edited:
Arkshooter,
Changing out the main spring assembly should remedy your problem. Thank hunk of nylon that broke off gets jammed up in the hammer operating area and causes all kinds of problems. I'd install the new one, close the gun up and shoot it a bit before removing any more parts.

Your gun isn't that old. It probably dates from the 80s and breakage of that part was a very common issue. It was another cost cutting measure that got a FAIL. LOL!

gyvel: I thought the 900 was only made from the early 60s to the early 70s. About 10 years. Anyway, I know that's still not THAT old so doesn't really matter. And yeah, I was doing some digging and the only issues I found for this gun was that plastic part. Not sure why they thought plastic was a good idea. haha :D

The Model 900 was made between 1962 and 1973.
The "NYLON" head was intended to be self lubricating and hence have less binding problems. H&R switched their entire revolver line to that nylon part sometime in the '60s. As to being successful - I have quite a few with the nylon part that still work. I also have changed them out on about a half dozen. At least the nylon lasted until H&R Inc. disbanded in Feb. 1986. :rolleyes:

Tried to find that part but Gun Parts seems to be sold out. Does anyone know another source that may have these?

FWIW, before the metal parts became available, I made a fair number of those parts out of soft steel or brass; AFAIK, they are all still working. Took about 15 minutes with a hacksaw and Dremel tool. Not really cost effective, but a good part of general gunsmithing is keeping the customer happy, even if it costs money (or time, same thing).

Jim

Perfect opportunity to hack something out of soft steel. I did a similar same thing with an AMT Backup extractor, took me about an hour with a hacksaw & bench grinder & files.

Back