Old german hunting rifle: don't know make/model

Wild Card

Inactive
Need help identifying old german hunting rifle.
Double triggers, rear sight has a popup sight and front sight also has a circular popup sight.
A deer is engraved on the left side of the butt-stock and uses a spoon-style bolt that cocks-on-open.

The only markings I've been able to find are on the bolt:
what appears to be eight "0"'s and a "1" stamped on the back of the bolt,
and crown over "B" over crown over "U" near the bolt handle.

Any thoughts on it's value also appreciated.

JkJZs.jpg

5HlVx.jpg

WHLYf.jpg

EZ4wZ.jpg

XrlPH.jpg

The type appears in the 1911 Alfa catalog as a Mauser.
But it is not an 1871, lacking the big bolt stop screw and washer.

Too bad there were so many European gun makers who did not put their names on their products. But the guild system did not encourage that.

Take it from an old Polock - It's a custom hunting/stalking rifle made on a Haenel/Mannlicher Sporting action.

I would check the underside of the bbl & action, under the wood, for a maker's mark & chambering information.

Last edited:
It appears to be a Winchester model 70 from 52 or 53. Most likely in 30-06 caliber.

Just kidding.....what a neat sporting rifle that is. I really like it.

That's one beautiful rifle for sure! Any history on it? A "GI bring back" possibly? Over the years, I've seen a number of different hunting rifles - not identical to this but obviously well made German pieces . . . . there's one thing that can be said, . . . they knew how to make 'em!

It will be interesting to follow this thread and see what comes up on it . . . thanks for posting as it is sure a beautiful piece of work! :)

That rifle is a work of Art. When I saw that Bolt handle the first thought was Mannlicher

Last edited:
That is a fine old Austrian Mannlicher Schounauer. Value around $2,000 dollars. Go on Guns America auctions you will find many of these.:)

As it clearly has German proof marks, it's not Austrian. There should be more marks under the barrel.
As for value, while you see many of these "liberated" guns with asking prices of $2000, you rarely see sales at that range. If it is in a still available caliber you might see $1500 for it, if it's in some obsolete chambering like 9x57 my guess would around $1200.

bedbugbilly: Unfortunately I don't know the history of this rifle other than I'm told it belonged to my great-grandfather who was from Germany. So I assume it is simply an old hunting rifle that he used.

Bear River: Your post appears to be the best match and I want to thank you for it!

mapsjanhere: Thank you also for posting. I could not find any other markings on the barrel. I also know what you mean with asking prices vs selling prices. :)

WC, did you take the barrel out of the stock? German proof marks for the barrel are typically on the underside just in front of the receiver, and on the left front side of the receiver itself (might or might not be covered by the stock).
It might also help to get a shot of the open action from the top to clearly identify the type. As far forward as the bolt handle is it looks to me like a civilian version of the 1871 type. As the barrel looks rather modern, there's also the possibility that it was rebarreled in the US (especially if there truly are no proof marks on the barrel).

Last edited:
As soon as I posted I realized the markings would be under the hidden part of the barrel - doh! I hesitate taking the gun apart for fear of mucking something up in trying to get it back together...

Anyway, here is a top-down view of open bolt:
dYrXC.jpg

That diagonal cut on the front ring of the receiver is pretty unique for the 1871 type, they quickly realized it doesn't do anything but add manufacturing cost. Is the rifle a single shot or does it have the tubular magazine of the 1871/84 series?

ok, that means it's definitely not the original 11x60R. 7x57 would be a good one to try, or run a Cerrosafe cast of the chamber.

Back