OLD Family Shotgun

MO

I need help finding the lineage of an old Champion shotgun that is passed down through my family. I know that this a a Champion 12 guage with a 32" single barrel. It was purchased new for $6 around the 1905 or so. It made it's way into my family because it kicked like a mule and the guy sold it to my great grandfather for $5. There are no other markings (proofs, etc.) on the gun. The only distinguishing mark is the butplate. It has the word Champion in RAISED letters.
I would like to find out more about this old gun and any help or reference material that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.
MO

The only thing I have is that your shotgun was made by Iver Johnson. I have the disassem istructions w/photo if you'd like to have them.

HJN

There's probably very little collector value with this Champion, it was an entry level utility gun and quite common. The fact that it's a family heirloom makes it priceless.

As for shooting heirlooms, have a good smith check it out first. Most utility guns didn't have twist bbls, but short chambers are common, and the wear and tear of several generation may have left it unsafe. If you do fire it after the smith OKs it, skip heavy loads, slugs, and steel shot. Light trap,skeet and field loads would be the ammo of choice.

Also, Harley's right as usual. Iver Johnson nade it, and they made millions of them. It's(in good condition) a serviceable but not inspiring shotgun.

Thanks! One of the guys overa at glock talk sent me some sites with the info on them. Appreciate your time!

Back