Old eyes needs a scope

schotzfyred

I shoot a single shot CVA Scout V2 45-70 out to 200yds and with my 80 year old eyes I need a scope. I don't hunt but shoot for score for my own interest.
I'm looking at a Hawke 3-9x AO or a 4-12x AO. Not much difference but just a little more power might be an advantage.
Appreciate any input

First of all how lively is that CVA in recoil? Recoil kills scopes, especially lower end optics quickly. Honestly, I don't know anything about Hawke optics.

My go to scopes have always been Leupold for my hunting rifles, and my target rifles have a mixture of Leupold, Bushnell Elite, and Vortex optics usually starting around $500 and up. However, if I've needed a budget scope I've almost always looked to the Burris Fullfield II line.

Burris optics have always held up well for me. In fact I had a Savage 99 in .358 Winchester and a T/C Encore in .375 JDJ both that kept both destroyed a Vari-X IIc 3-9X40 that I kept getting repaired. I put a Burris FFII in 2-7X35 on them and never had any issues again. The only thing I didn't like was the 1/2 MOA adjustments on the Burris, but they were better than the friction adjustments on the Leupold scope.

Last edited:
I'm shooting a 300 gr cast bullet with 11 gr of Unique for listed velocity of 1100 fps. The recoil is very mild considering what the 45-70 could be loaded to.
As mentioned, I shoot for the fun of it and with ammo so expensive, a hand load of 10gr Unique and cast bullets, I can get about 700 reloads to the pound of Unique.

My respects!
I'm 68,and this last year I went in for an eye exam to get some updated glasses.
The eye Doctor told me my cataracts were so bad he could not write a prescription for my right (shooting) eye. A motivation for going in was I recognised my eyes were not good enough for night driving.

I'm retired,Medicare paid most of the cost,and I have 20/20 distance vision after surgery. I'm happy.

I'm not an eye Doctor and I know nothing about your eyes.

I suggest ,before you spend money on scopes,you start with an eye exam.

And go from there.

Build the foundation before the roof.

In my experience quality always trumps a lot of X's. I can use a good quality 6X fixed power scope out to 600 yards a lot easier than a budget 12X scope at 100 yards. More X's don't hurt as long as the quality is there. But to get the same quality more X's means more money.

I have ZERO experience with Hawke scopes. But I'd advise a scope with well known quality even if it is only available in a 3-9X40 scope. In fact 3-9X40 is the value leader among all scope manufacturers. They all try to give you the most scope for the dollar at that magnification range. And that is more than enough magnification for 200 yards.

Vortex scopes

This user has grown a preference for Vortex Scopes. For up to 200 yards, a 3-9 X 40 Vortex Crossfire II should do the trick for relatively low cost.

A great deal depends on what ammo you're using. A Remington 405 grain SP at 1330 MV, sighted in at 100 yards, will drop a full 2 feet at 200.
Barrel length matters too.
There's no need for a 12X sight. 9x might be too much. FOV is small.

I see a lot of Internet Recommendations, "10X is enough for 1000 yards" and such, but what I see on the range from 50 yd BR22 to 1000 yd F class is all you can hold steady.

BPCR used to be limited to 6X by somebody's notion of authenticity but I now see 8X.

At my level, 32X is too much, I usually run a high range variable to 20X or a little more, hardly ever up to the 24X top end of my scopes.

Vortex gets a lot of play these days, but they have multiple price/quality range groups from dime store to National Championship grade.

I shoot a single shot CVA Scout V2 45-70 out to 200yds and with my 80 year old eyes I need a scope. I don't hunt but shoot for score for my own interest.
I'm looking at a Hawke 3-9x AO or a 4-12x AO. Not much difference but just a little more power might be an advantage.
Appreciate any input
Aperture Sights - are 1X optics.

Red

I just bought a primary arm 4-14x44 adjustable objective First Focal Plane. They have a BDC, MOA, and Mil reticle options. They are a touch heavy at 25oz, but I am really happy with it. I also have a hawk scope with adjustable objective on my spring air rifle, it is very nice as well.

If you have cataracts, you should definitely get them fixed. They're very good at it these days.

For most people of a mature age, the problem isn't being able to see, but that our eyes have become less flexible so we can no longer shift focus like we used to. I remember vividly being able to shift focus from the target to the front sight. Can't do it anymore. So I no longer hunt with iron sights.

I have some inexpensive scopes that I use on my range toys. If the scope goes belly up, it means I'll have to shoot some other range toy that day. OTOH, my hunting rifles wear Leupolds, with an occasional Burris or similar. Too much effort goes into a hunting trip to risk having a scope fail.

In the budget range, don't get a Vortex. Even mild .45-70 loads will have you needing the warranty, and I'd rather you have the scope to shoot than waiting for repairs.

Leupold, Tract, Burris, Trijicon are all good solid brands that make good variables that might work for you. 2-7, 3-9, 4-12 will all be about the same light transmission and if you are only going to 200 yards, I'd slant you towards a 2-7 or maybe a 3-9. A good fixed 6x might be worth a look too. A little more light transmission and if you are range shooting, the lower mag might only cost you a few dollars, but not be used.

I hope to be shooting .45-70 when I am 80, props Sir!

I shoot at 100 yards off sandbags and 18x is nice. 20 would not be too much. 9 is sadly too little!

For shooting like I do at the range, a big 50mm scope is nice. I’m carrying the rifle from the car to the bench, not taking it hunting.

Price is not a guarantee of quality. I had great luck with a Swift 9x18, people like Hawke as well. In my opinion, much of the difference in price comes down to marketing.

EA Brown sells Swift, Hawke, etc. and Leopold. You might pay a bit more buying from a little shop like that (or not) but they might help you pick the right rings, too. Always a bit of a fuss.

This user has grown a preference for Vortex Scopes. For up to 200 yards, a 3-9 X 40 Vortex Crossfire II should do the trick for relatively low cost.
I am currently getting rid of a crossfire II 3-9x40. It was NOT a good scope IMHO. mush clicks. inconsistent adjustment. And I was getting vertical movement when I adjusted horizontally. Was a pain to zero my rifle. My friend and I shot over 20rnds trying to get it zeroed. His rifle zeroed up in 3rnds.....

Personally Leupold. I am also VERY happy with the primary arms 4-14x44 I just got. Same as was on my friends rifle that zeroed up in 3rnds... Primary arms are a touch heavy, but so far excellent glass in my opinion.

My dad seems to be in a similar boat. He tends to prefer better glass with more mangnification that what I need.

Last edited:
Back