old Dupont Smokeless Powder shipping box

oley55

Looking for a pointer to a forum for shooter/reloader collectors. I bought a couple tumblers locally which included a box of reloading trash n junk. Said trash n junk was piled into an old wooden box. I have been sorting through the junk the last couple days and just realized the wooden box is an old Dupont shipping container. It faintly says DUPONT "Smokless Powder for Small Arms"., on front and back with just DUPONT on the ends.

I just reviewed 334 listings on fleabay and found half a dozen listings for Dupont-Remington Shot-shells/Ammo, but nothing for Smokeless Powder. That implies it's somewhat rare and may best be no longer used for storing/moving junk (still holding an inch of green growing assorted shotshells, ammo and brass). The box measures 10.5 X 21.75 X 6". The sides are nailed to the ends (no dove tailing), the bottom boards are tongue and groove nailed on, no lid/top, but there are nail holes where the top was nailed in place. It's pretty old but not ancient. Has a lot of patina (looks real rough).

I am not a collector, and got a pretty good deal on the items I wanted/bought. I'd like to find someone who wants and appreciates it for more than a junk box.

Attachments

• Dupont 1.jpg
    Dupont 1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Dupont 2.jpg
    Dupont 2.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 42
sorta funny, except I'm already trying to give it away.

In retrospect I just spent the better part of two days sorting through and occasionally rescuing some junk in there. Would have been way ahead with your suggestion.

found a bunch of semi-crusty green ammo in the bottom. somebody was a big .32" fan with four varieties; 32 S&W (#18), 32 S&WL (#13), 32 WCF (#23), and 32-20 (#3). And a scattering of other old small caliber stuff.

At any rate I've posted a giveaway on the Shooters Forum, Cartridge Collectors page. Hopefully somebody local has an interest.

Last edited:
It sounds like you made your decision.

They make interesting decorations, which is where the market value is, but few cartridge collectors seem to care.

My physical therapist actually uses very good condition Dupont and Hercules crates as organizers in his office. I asked about them a little while back. He said he picked them up from a retiring gunsmith for $50 (about $5 apiece).

I'm pretty sure I know which gunsmith it was, which leaves me amazed at the condition of the crates. ...Because they would have been in a shop that lost two windows and a door that never got replaced, about 2 years before the guy's official 'retirement'.

In retrospect I just spent the better part of two days sorting through and occasionally rescuing some junk in there. Would have been way ahead with your suggestion.

Well yeah but then you would have missed out on some fun and the thrill of the hunt. IMhO better that than watching yet another Netflix movie. (YANM).

Back