Old Components

mgulino

While visiting my daughter and son-in-law, he gave me a crate of old loading components. He got them from a friend whose father had passed away recently. I can use the 38 SPL cases (about 750). I will check the powder before attempting to use it. There are 3 unopened cans and 1 partial of DuPont #6, a partial of #5, a partial of 5066, and 2 partial cans of fffg. The old cans will look great above the loading bench.

Attachments

• 4FD026B7-17FA-4CBC-84F7-0DFF2AC9CB03.jpeg
    4FD026B7-17FA-4CBC-84F7-0DFF2AC9CB03.jpeg
    347.8 KB · Views: 75
The old DuPont pistol powders were well liked, a lot of shooters shed a tear when they discontinued 5066; 5 and 6 had their place. But they are now very old and our friend Slamfire has all sorts of warnings about rotten powder. So inspect closely and use moderate loads if they look good.

The black is fine, it does not age like smokeless.

I had a can of Unique and H4895 from the 70s. Tested them and they still held velocity from the new issues. I had another can that lost the chemical smell and didn't pass the match test. Poured into the compost pile.

Those cans of Du Pont 5 & 6 are at least 60, and probably closer to 80, years old.

Hum... Just found some information that says that both powders were introduced in the early 1920s and were dropped from production at the onset of World War II and never reintroduced.

I'm pretty sure those can designs were from the mid to late 1930s.

5066 was one of the first powders introduced commercially after World War II.

Back