Old Colt Revolver.

TVDean

I inherited an old Colt .38 the cylinder revolves to the left, different from more recent varieties. I'm guessing turn of the century. If anyone is a colt expert I will provide more info and maybe we can figure this out. Thanks.

There are several models of Colt revolvers which have cylinders that revolve to the left: Colt DA Navy Revolver, New DA Army and Navy Revolver and the DA Marine Corps Revovler (different grip shape than New Army/Navy). What we need are the markings on the barrel to help positively identify it.

On the first (Colt DA Navy Revolver, aka Model 1889), the markings are:

COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5th 1884. NOVEMBER 6th 1888
COLT D.A.38

The 6" barrel was the Navy model of this gun and 3", 4 1/2" Civilian models. There was also a civie 6" too.

The succeeding models (New DA Army and Navy, model 1892, 1894, 1895, 1896, 1901 and 1903) were marked accordingly:

same as 1889 except as production progressed the following were added:
MAR. 5 95 and APR 9, 1901

Additional markings may be found on those actually issued in service. These were found on the butt and stock. A navy could be marked, "U.S.N. (anchor) 38 DA - No. 2311 WWK - 1889" and the army as "US ARMY MODEL 1896 140 428 LW".

The Marine Corps revolver was marked on the barrel as:

COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5 1884, NOV. 6, 88, MAR.5, 95

So, tell us more about your gun (barrel length, markings).

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The last one!!!

"...COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD CT. U.S.A.
PATENTED AUG. 5 1884, NOV. 6, 88, MAR.5, 95..."

That's exactly what it says. SerNo.in the high 960's (less than 970) / colt DA 38 on left side of bbl. / 6" bbl. /same serial No. on cylinder release / original (i presume),logo'd "colt" black plastic grips.

There are some other markings: What looks to be a trident w/an arrow at it's base is stamped on the cyl. relrease & the left/front part of the trigger guard.

The butt and grips look as if they were damaged!!! (possibly filed on the bottom)

[This message has been edited by TVDean (edited December 23, 1999).]

960-970s? They're all listed as stolen and the Corps wants it back! You can send it to me to return to Corps. I won't tell on you.

Kidding of course and your gun is clean. :) You may want to contact Gun Parts Inc. to see if they have another grip for you. Keep the original though.

------------------

So it's not rare by any means huh??

Is the low Ser# worth anything??

Thanks for your help.

I wish it could talk!!! I wonder where it's been, if it's seen any battles. It came from the Philly area.

I defer your questions to our expert Harley Nolden and his able assistant, Jim Keenan. Darn if I'll ever buy a blue book since I buy my guns for fun and shooting.

------------------

TV DEAN & GARY:
According to my records, and from the conversation I believe that the Revolver is the 1889 model Navy with values @:

EXC=$2,000.00 POOR=$200.00

Even if I have missed the information on which one has been identified here are the values.

Navy Model, Stamped USN the value is: EXC=$7,500.00 POOR=$500.00

U.S.M.C Model (so stamped)

VALUE EXC=$4,500.00 POOT=$750.00

Model 1892 New Army and Navy the value is
EXC=$1,250.00 POOR=$100.00

HJN

Back