Old Colt pythons $$$

Metal god

I'm in CA so I thought the reason I never saw colt revolvers in the stores was because Colt refused to make a CA compliant revolver/s . Turns out they stopped making them at some point which I did not know .

A buddy of mine just inherited several Colt revolvers and he was asking how much they are worth . I told him $1k to maybe $1500 each not knowing they stopped making them . Today I did a search and ....:eek: holy cow $3,000.00 really ? Are these prices I'm seeing Covid/Riots/Election prices or is the current price range what they were going for before Covid and all the other stuff ?

It just surprised me cus I was going to buy a couple from him until I found out I may not be able to even afford one and no way I can put out $5k for a couple guns :( .

The last Colt Python came off the line in the early 2000's...around 2004, IIRC. Within 4 or 5 years, their values were climbing like a rocket. I sold a near mint 1978 Python in 2010 for $1100. I'd paid $350 for that gun in 1994. At the time, I didn't think that they could go for much higher than what I'd sold mine for...silly me. I wish that I still had it.

Today, a gun like my '78 model would be a $3K+ gun, even without the box and papers. Now that Colt has reintroduced the Python and the King Cobra, it hasn't seemed to mitigate the prices of the old Pythons that much. At least, not yet.

Of course, the value of a Python today is still dependent upon its condition. But, even the most ragged shooters will still bring around $1K. Troopers and the "lesser" models will bring less, but they've also gained significant value since they were discontinued.

"Covid/Riots/Election prices or is the current price range what they were going for before Covid and all the other stuff ? "(OP)

Python prices, in my opinion anyway, started rising after the Walking Dead hit the screens. Everything else you mentioned just added fuel to the flames.

Yeah I could not believe the prices . FWIW these Pythons are near mint with some never being fired . The sad thing is my buddy is not a gun guy . He grew up with guns , respects them and the 2nd but has little interest really . I've tried to get him to go shooting with me over the years but he's always to busy . Although , we are going Tuesday for the first time together . He's also got a few single action army revolvers and he keeps saying , what the hell am I going to do with all these things haha ? I say , I can get rid of those for you "cheap" lol

Anyways they are beautiful and smooth as all get out . I've never pulled a revolver trigger that was so smooth . I have a Ruger GP100 that I did a trigger job on and thought that one was nice , not compared to the colts . Truly amazing firearms but blued , which I shy away from . I had blued guns 20 or 30 years ago but since have went to stainless or the more modern finishes that need less attention when it come to maintenance .

attachment.php

Was in the local Scheels & a guy put his whole collection on consignment with them-there were six Pythons 4" & 6" some with the original boxes marked at $3,000-$3,700. Also a lot sweet old S&W revolvers, Hi-Standard & Colt 22's. Guy should have a nice retirement shot in the arm when they sell.

Unless the prices have DROPPED due to reintroduction of the Python last year, three grand is closer to the starting point than top end, for nice old ones.
$5,000 or more is not unusual.

Nice Zeke

I don’t think them making new ones will change anything . Reason being is the new ones are not the same design . They may have the same name but they are two different looking guns .

Nice Zeke

I don’t think them making new ones will change anything . Reason being is the new ones are not the same design . They may have the same name but they are two different looking guns .
Thanks, have had it for awhile but never shot it. Sold off my shooter grade. Am considering earlier 60's era pythons almost like works of art. However much prefer to shoot a smoothed up S&W.

$3,000 is quite possibly light. "Old" Pythons had factory, hand fitted, triggers the newer one do not. Think in terms of a factory 'gunsmith' trigger job. They've always been over priced.
They ran upwards of a grand or more 20 years ago. On gunsinternational.com, they're currently starting at $2700ish and going to 4 or 5 grand. There's a 1956 flavour at $6500ish. And a "NEW UNFIRED" Ten Pointer(scoped) at just under 10 grand.

The new ones have kept the prices on the old ones from continuing to climb like they were for a couple of years (2013 to 2016). You might be able to snag an older one for $1,500 but it will be in rough shape. Like pitted rusty metal and dropped a few times rough.

$2,500 to $3,000 seems like the price range for your average shooter grade Python. At least it was before the most recent round of panic buying hit. I haven’t been paying as much attention lately because the price on everything is elevated, so it’s possible $3,000 is now the floor for one in average to good condition.

Not just Colt Pythons but all S&W revolvers have shot way up in price as well as the older Colt revolvers. My sister is holding my brother's 6" like new in box Python against $800 he owes her. I have a clean 4" and told my sister anytime I would give her 1K for my brother's gun if he doesn't make good. :)

When I check out my wife and kids can figure things out. Maybe the #1 grandson will want the Python.

Ron

From this very forum, all searches of "Colt Python" pre 2010--almost none. Walking Dead came out in 2010.
Yeah and my then young grandson got a good look in the safe and the only gun he immediately recognized was the Colt Python. Go figure and while the kids were big fans of the show I never got into it.

Ron

Since the new Python is 2020, you know for a fact all "used" are the older versions. Here is the one year data:

https://truegunvalue.com/pistol/colt-python/price-historical-value

Guns sell less in the summer and most around Christmas (same with ammo). It's a strange thing where we all get bored, but a bunch of stuff when it costs the most, hoard it, and then go play in the summer. If you did the reverse in the summer, you'd save more.

So you can expect that line to continue to drop for both new/used.

Back