Old but working . . . powder shelf life

Prof Young

You can't barely read the label but this is some old, old bullseye. I bought it at the local LGS. They take in all kinds of shooting stuff on consignment. I was looking for bullseye to load some 25 acp with 35 gn hollow points and this was all I could find without driving an hour or ordering on line. Tried it out and it shoots just fine.

Does powder have a known shelf life?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Attachments

• powder.jpg
    powder.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
It's mostly how it was stored, not how long. Uninsulated garage with big temp swings? Not as long as cool, dry storage. If the powder looks discolored or has a strong chemical odor, its time to dump it.

I have several of those containers with Bullseye, Unique, Red Dot, Green Dot, and Herco. I still have the empty container that had 2400 in it.

They are all good.

I had a container like that with Blue Dot, but it went south on me. I picked it up one day and my fingers went thru the side of the container. I gingerly walked it to the front yard and turned it loose.

Yep. It's unpredictable because the canister grades sold to handloaders have to have a tighter burn rate spec than the bulk grade does. This is because the canister grades are meant to be loaded from recipes. The bulk grades are used by commercial ammunition makers who have pressure test guns to adjust the charge with, so they don't care if the recipe isn't the same from one lot to the next. The canister grades are made from bulk grade powder by blending a bulk lot with held-back prior lots of the same powder that came out burning faster or slower, depending in which direction they need to move the burn rate to make it valid for recipes. Unfortunately, that gives the handloader a combination of two powders, one of which we have no idea of the age for. So, you might be lucky and get a lot that happened to come out at the right burn rate and was never blended and which can be expected to last well, but sometimes you get a lot that was blended with a pretty old lot and that can go bad prematurely. This is what a goodly portion of powder recalls seem to be about.

Norma says you can count on their powders to last 10 years. The military stores munitions made from the unblended bulk grade powders 45 years for single-base powders and 20 years for double-base powders, at which point the ammunition is surplused out and pulled down and sold to you on the hope it will last longer.

As mentioned, heat is the enemy. U.S. Naval Ordnance and the U.S. Army Ordnance departments have both had researchers destroy powder in under two years by subjecting it to temperatures ranging from 140°F (18 months to going bad) to 160°F (six months to a year). Your best bet is to seal the powder in a freezer bag and put it in the deep freeze, where it will last longer than you will. You just have to be careful that when you pull it out to use it, you give it plenty of time to reach room temperature before you open the bag.

Look for Red Dust in the powder , when you pour some out the red dust will be easily seen (looks like rust ) and give it the smell test . Bad powder smells harsh and acidic...it's not pleasant to the nose . If powder exhibits one or both signs ... don't load it .

I've got powders from the early 1970's that are still good , stored in the house with central HVAC . Alcan Powders...remember them ?

That packaging was used in the 1980s, so you're pushing 40 years old at this point.

If it's been opened, I wouldn't touch it.

"...a known shelf life?..." Nope. As mentioned, it's entirely about how it has been stored. Loaded ammo is the same way. Dry and consistent temperatures for either.

buzz58 said:
I just load up some 41 year old bullseye. 5.4 grains in 357 mag. Still gave my revolver a kick!

Yes, but in your other post on this, it was powder you bought new and not opened by an unknown party (the danger there is they may have mixed some other powder in by mistake) and you carefully looked at and smelled it and looked for signs of deterioration first. You may have lucked into a lot that didn't need blending of any kind, which would make it all the same age. And, ultimately, some formulations are inherently more stable than others. That's all part of what makes this so unpredictable.

Fully concur use it with caution and the look and smell test are important. If it makes you nervous get rid of it.

I have some powder I have used that goes back to the 70s. Its always been stored in cooler places, 70 in the summer and more 60 in the winter. I have AL-8 that looks good as well as green dot and a couple others.

I have an 8# cardboard keg of Unique that was given to me by a retired IPSC shooter. The powder is circa late 1980's and still loads And shoots excellent. I do keep the keg sealed in a plastic kitchen trash bag, and my basement man cave has a cool, stable enviroment.

Alliant has some Unique from the original (1913?) lot that they keep in water and periodically dry some out and test it and over a century later, it still works. I wouldn't recommend submersion for most powders. It will dissolve out some more modern additives. But it does have the property of dissolving acid breakdown products, and if they mind the pH of the water or change it periodically, that will do prevent the breakdown snowballing as it does in a dry powder container.

I used to shoot and load shotgun a lot.

Back in 1974, I was in Davis Hardware in Austin. They had a 15 lb cardboard "can" of Green Dot for $32.00 plus tax out the door. I still have about a third of it and it still makes plenty of noise when pulling the trigger. I have developed loads for damn near everything that I load for using Green Dot, but Red Dot still remains my favorite. I might have 8 containers of varying sizes of Red Dot to choose from (I only open one container at a time until empty).

I am just finishing up a 15 lb cardboard "can" of Red Dot. Proper storage (cool and dry) and a non-metallic cannister goes a long, long ways.

Don

Back