Old bodyguard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fury

Howdy,

I have an early 60's vintage S&W Model 38 that my dad gave me. I like the little gun alot and only shoot standard pressure ammo in it. My question is... can I at least carry +p ammo for self-defense purposes? Or am I taking a chance of making it a 1 shot .38?

Thanks in advance,
Fury

------------------
It's not paranoia, they really are out to get me.

Greetings Fury; Being that your Model 38 S&W
Bodyguard is an "Airweight"; I would not
recommend using ANY +P ammo; especially
since your gun may have special meaning
to you !!!

------------------
Ala Dan

Some years ago,before trhe current plethora of hot 38 loads, the NRA ran an article on defense ammo for the 38. Two of the loads in that were target wadcutters and hollowbase wadcutters loaded backwards. The article, and subsequent testing done by myself, indicated the HB WC backwards load worked in some guns but hit the test medium sideways with others.

However, the regular WC load has some points for vintage and alloy 38s. First, the point design transfers energy quickly,and the pure lead upsets easily,while the low recoil helps get the lighter pieces back on target fast.The 148 gr weight gives more penetration. This may be the most effective load for those little old J frames, just remember this is a minor caliber...

Never really saw the point in hot loads for CIVY self-defense...
You don't want bullets to over-penatrate. That means objects too, i.e. fences, doors, brush etc. etc. don't know what is on the other side!!! Don't want your rounds to hit unintended targets (i.e. pedestrians) +(children!!!) standard loaded hollow points I think are your best choice for self defense, and the recoil will stay pretty much the same as your practice loads!!!
You aren't hunting BEARS with it you only want it to wart of us FRAGILE human types!!!

Personally, I would not use +P cartridges in an older Model 38 or even in an older Model 49, the all-steel equivalent. These revolvers were not designed for +P.

If I believed it was important to use +P cartridges, I'd acquire a current production Bodyguard Airweight, which has been redesigned and rated for +P.

FWIW, I load my older Model 38 with 125-gr. Federal Premium Nyclad Hollow Points, Federal Load #P38M. Of course, these are standard .38s, not +P.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 19, 1999).]

Don't shoot +p ammo in your old bodyguard. The +p can accelerate the wear on the gun or worse, blow it up. The newer J frames undergo a different heat treatment (and maybe metalurgy) to help them digest the hotter loads. No sense it taking the risk and getting yourself or another hurt.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back