Old Army - R&D Cylinder - Cowboy ammunition

Hi,

I found this forum and I read your posts regularly. Great forum !!! I learned a lot and I even bought an Old Army BP revolver; what a pleasure.

I just found a R&D cylinder.

I am looking for ammunition: .45 Colt LC "cowbow ammunition", as requidred by R&D

I found Remington .45 Colt ( code R45C )

Is that it ?

I do no understand what is really "Cowbow ammunition" . I know that the speeed must be under 800-900 fps.

Is the Remington a "Cowbow ammunition" ??

If not, what should I buy ??

Any advice will be welcome.

Thank you, from a new Cap n Ball shooter ( or at least... I am trying to be...)

Gerald.................................................................................................................../

Winchester and Black Hills Ammo both make cowboy loads, but they are kind of a specialty item and exspncive. You can reload your own shells Much cheaper Spear and Lee are the 2 manuals I load with and they both have data for the loads you need. Exellent choise with the Ruger Probably the best built BP pistol you can buy today. Oh I almost forgot you can get BP loads from Black hills as well as smokeless hope this helps. Cowboy loads are "lighter loads" they do not create as much pressure as modern loads. IE they are made to replicate the old black powder loads.

Last edited:
The company Ultramax makes great Cowboy ammo. It's expensive but the .45 Schofeld and .45 long Colt is perfect for a conversion cylinder and it's smokeless. Google Ultramax Cowboy ammo.

Hi,

Very happy with the answers.

Tomorrow morning will be THE LONGEST DAY.....

The Old Army will have his smokeless feeling...

Maybe it is my L A S T P O ST

badcanon.jpg

I reload for my converted .44cal 1858 Rem replica (I now call it "my other .45colt")
Buying .45's does get rather expensive if you shoot a lot.

The loads I make up shoot better in my Rem than in my Ruger Blkhwk. 1 1/2" @ 25yds.

Be advised, even the Cowboy rounds feel "Beefy" fired from the 1858 Remington. My gun shooting the .45 Schofield feels like a .44 mag, but it's fun as a barrel of monkeys.

WOW...

I shot today .45 Colt ammunition in the Ruger OA...

At 50 meters, it groups ( I think it is good for me as a beginner...) into a 12 inches sheet...

I am looking for a reloading technic... because... $0.82 x 6 = $ 4.92 for ONE shot ... ... ... x 10 for the afternoon === $49.42 ... hum hum... too much for me.

Is it rentable to reload... any advice for a real loading beginner ??

......................................................................Gerald................./

Save/re-use your brass, buy cheap lead wadcutter bullets. Use Red Dot powder or Goex FFFg. Don't have load data at my fingertips here but it's in any reloading manual. Leave no gap in shell if you load BP (slight compression of powder preferred) or damage can result.
Nice cannon.

.45 loads

Use fffg Goex BP and fill the case, seat the bullet normally, and enjoy some fine shooting fun.:) Swab the bore with water and dishsoap every couple of cylinders full and you will never have fouling problems. Using smokeless powder in guns designed for black powder is NEVER a good Idea. Even in modern guns with good steel, you are still a test specimen as the gun was not tested or proofed with smokeless. You could get away with it for a time, but if there is ever a problem you have no recourse since you are using the weapon in a way it was not designed for. Some other folks might disagree with me, :p but they won't feel your pain or loss if the thing blows up in your hand.:rolleyes: Besides, the blast and smoke of BP is a large part of the fun.:D

Back