Old Ammunition worth anything?

triiko

Inactive
Hi, I have acquired a 50 box of Caliber .45 - Ball M1911 - Lot WCC - 2 - 12 -Olin Corporation. The casings are stamped: WCC 73.
Is this box worth anything special or should I shoot them off at the range with my 1911??
Any advice is appreciated!:D

Matter of perspective....

But '73 ammo isn't "old". Not to a collector. To them, old begins before WWII, and goes back from there, generally.

You might think you ammo is elderly, but it isn't, in collector's terms. All it is, is GI surplus ball, with no real value beyond what you can buy new made today.

Shoot it, or keep it (properly kept, it won't spoil). Stored right, it will still be good decades from now.

Storing Ammo?

What is the best way to store it? I live in AZ so it's pretty dry and hot 10 months out of the year. I have a lower level quazi- basement if it needs to be cool. Thanks!

It Might Be Collectable..

To a vet who was serving in that era, I bought some M-1 Carbine ammo with a 1954 headstamp (the year I was born) and some with a 1972 headstamp (the year I went into the Army) just to have. Probably paid more than it was actually worth dollar-wise, but it was something I wanted to have. I'll likely never shoot it, and I'll try to impress on my grandsons why I got it and saved it. I kind of think they'd honor my wishes and keep it as well.

You can always remove the powder, fill the cases with clay or anything you can fill them with, put a little art on them, and then sell them.

You can make very nice "jewelry" with bullets.;)

Maybe you must fire the cases first to make the primer useless, so they can be legal as it has to be here.

Alternately, you can sell the shells of fired bullets to collectors. Here with the gun restrictions, many people are selling bullets or cases of bullets from WWII or other eras.

The WWII guns and ammo, manufactured before 1945, can be sold as collectors items, without demilitarization here. Guns must be registered to police, but ammo is somewhat free to have.

Always good to search your local market for every probability.
You never know what may comes to your hands. Some ammo is really rare and expansive i heard.

Collectable Ammo?

100 years from now it maybe. That's the year I graduated from high school, not really that long ago to me.
If the box and the ammo inside are in perfect, like new condition then put them away for your Great Grandchildern. Seal them up real good and DO NOT touch them in the next 100 years.

As a comparison; I have some 7.62 linked ammo in the original boxes from the WWII era. Potential buyers are more interested in the boxes and links than the ammo.

I use the rounds for roughing in scopes and don't know what to do with the tracers. Ultimately it saves me the cost of new ammo. I've never had a bad round in two boxes.

Back