Old 760!

Danny Creasy

One of my primary protagonists in my next book is Spared Territory North President Catherine Ragland Smith. When forced into the fray, she grabs what is handy and helps defend her people with the hunting rifle of her youth. In honor of my heroine, I carried along a rifle much like hers to the NASA, Inc. range this morning. Much fun! Half-inch group at 50 yards with open sights... sweet!!

uJ9K5Z8.jpg

Had a friend back in Nevada that had one just like that. He filed the front bead into a fine blade and had me put a Williams Peep Sight on it.
I have seen him hit a pop can at 200 yards 4 times in a row from sitting with that rifle.
He killed a lot of deer with it too.

I think that would be an Alabama white-tail's worst nightmare.

If you're {happy} with you're rifles grouping and its overall condition. I'm tickled you're enjoying the old {760} deer rifle. (Scarce as hens teeth these days.) OPs thread takes me back quite a few years in my remembrance hunting.
Seen a 740 model not to many years ago. Had allot of woods time on it. A 30-06 Springfield model still poking holes in all things its pointed at. lol

Dandy posting there Danny Creasy.

My Model 760 was one of the first made in the very early fifties. I got mine (chambered in 30-06) from my grandfather back in the late sixties and have killed a few whitetails with it over the years. In my opinion, the stock has too much "drop" for acquiring a good cheek to sight weld with a scope and I've been more than happy using a Williams "Fool Proof" receiver sight on it. My vintage Model 760 has proven to be a reliable and fast handling rifle for hunting in typical northern Michigan cedar swamps and heavily timbered habitat.

I used one of those in 30/06 in 1969. It was worn but still in good condition and killed a few deer. "A solid kick" doesn't begin to describe the sledgehammer recoil on my 120# body. A couple of years later, I returned it to the lender and bought a 742.

I have a 760 but in .308. I refinished it some 20 years ago. I got it from my dad when he upgraded to a newer 7400. It's a pretty good shooting gun. They do tend to like to break firing pins and I found mine broken into 5 or 6 pieces on a hunt one time. I ordered a couple to have one as a back up. Mine does not get shot/used much anymore though.

I was very interested in one of those a few months ago but my boss told me that they are notoriously inaccurate. This post certainly dispels that notion but these guns do not get sold for very much. Around $500 and I could own a very nice classic rifle so this must mean something but what? Why are they not commanding a higher price like the rest of the guns in good shape from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s?

Remington advertised their Auto and slide rifles as " accurate as a bolt action" for a while. If you search YouTube you can find the old commercial with a marksman shooting all 3 actions side by side. Accuracy is a very subjective term. For some people MOA is accurate. For others MOA is laughable and only when the holes are touching each other means accurate. I picked up a 760 a while ago for under $400. It had sat on the wall at my favorite pawn shop for many months. As soon as I asked to look at it he offered a cut rate price that I couldn't pass up. Most people around here don't like slide action rifles, but love slide shotguns. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I expect around MOA, with the right ammo.

I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I expect around MOA, with the right ammo.

expect "minute of deer", or a bit better. If you actually get minute of angle accuracy, be very happy.

The pumps have a reputation for being better (more accurate) than the semi autos, but they aren't (usually) MOA guns. 2-3MOA is much more common.

If it is minute of deer I will still use it in heavy timber and close up hunting. I have a few friends that have the same gun and they are getting close to MOA. I have heard of the rare sub-MOA 760. He claimed it was how you hold your tongue when you pull the trigger.

Good solid rifle with a good fast follow up shot. Buck horns do not do them justice. They deserve a receiver sight or a lower powered scope. Their triggers can be an impediment to better accuracy.

You get one with a better trigger and you have a true gem.

Three44s

looker

I've always felt that the older 760's, with plain walnut, aluminum butt plate, and rounded, grooved forearm, are far better lookers than the later Rem pumps with glossy plastic covered wood, montecarlo stock and boxy forearm, all with impressed checkering. The older butt stocks don't lend themselves to scope mounting, and aren't as weather resistant, but they are classic in appearance.

I grew up in pump rifle country, and always wanted a .308 pump carbine, but 30'06 was far more common, and all they made in recent years.

I've got a 760 BDL 30-06 that is very accurate. It sees very little use because it is so pretty - I don't want it getting scratched in the woods.

Back