Old .32 Smith ...

Patch44

Inactive
Got this awhie back from FIL ... been sitting in my gun vault.

Serial Number 15284x

IMG_0002.jpg

No markings at all, even under grips or on barrel. Not even sure it is a .32, but had a box of .32 Colt (edit: .32 SW) with it.

Anyone ident help would be nice, or redirect to someplace. Boy they made a lot of different pistols back when.

Thanks,

John

Edit: Found same serial number on cyl. Nothing in barrel that I can see yet.

Last edited:
It looks like a .32 Double Action Second Model, made 1880-1882.
If it is, the serial number would fall in between #31 and #22,172.

The position of the pins plus the serial number indicates that the gun is a .32 caliber, Double Action, Fourth Model, made from 1883 to 1909, serial numbers 43406 to 282999. (Serial numbers below approximately 209,300 are antiques under Federal law, made before 1 Jan 1899.)

The squareback guard could have been put on as a matter of using up old parts, but by that number it was probably either a special order or a replacement. (The Third, Fourth and Fifth Model trigger guards interchange, but most Third Model guards still had the square back.)

Jim

Thanks ...

Why no markings ???

I have looked this whole thing over with a glass (grips removed) and found only the serial numbers on the butt and cyl .. they match.

I looked above the grips where the SW stamp should be in the frame and see no evidence of markings. Could this be a knock off with Smith grips, or did they not do that back then ??

Also have a well worn holster that appears to be left handed, unless it's a cross draw.

Thanks for the info so far ...

John

Yep - a Fourth Model [Serial Number 15284x] with an early TG.

You would have gotten a quicker, more accurate answer, had you included the SN in your OP - BEFORE our answers.

S&W didn't mark the sideplate until much later - did you check the barrel sides & rib top for stampings ?

Last edited:
Second line had serial number in OP ... edit added the fact that I found the same serial number on the cyl.

I figurred' that would be vital in identifying this gun.

Any value, or just a paper weight ??? No history from anyone on this gun, so I don't think its a family heirloom ...

Thanks ...

John

Thanks for the info ...

Sorry for the delay ... I forgot all about this post.

Probably just pass it on to a relative ...

John

Back