old 30-06 needs identiying

shooter360g

Inactive
i am trying to identify a rifle I got from my grandfather. it has no serial number or caliber markings on it any were. i know it is a 30-06 and it dose have a few stamping on the bolt and the chamber. they kind of look like a ring with a wing on it. I could not get any good pictures of the logos. It has a white line but plate and a old redfield fixed scope. any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 241
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 194
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 153
It's a sporterized M1917 Enfield. These were originally used in WWI by American troops. There is also a similar gun in 303 British, the P14.

It's a strong action and should serve you well. It's hard to tell from the pictures whether or not it has the original barrel.

that's the weird part, I have disassembled the entire rifle in hopes of finding some identifying marks. all that is on this rifle are a few stamped logos. dose that mean it is a replacement barrel? I've fired plenty of rounds with it and it is a very nice preforming gun. but yes i think it is fairly heavy as well :)

The barrel would have been marked a few inches back from the muzzle on top but since it was sporterized, that portion is most likely gone. It could have a totally different barrel but I would say thats unlikely since it was originally a 30 06. There should be markings on the receiver, at least there were originally, "US 1917 RIFLE 30 CAL" then the factory, Winchester, Remington or Eddystone. The rifle has lost its collector value but would be a great shooter and hunting rifle.
Looks like it has a vintage scope as well. Enjoy it, it was meant to be used.

Back