Old 16 ga problem

Longhorn1986

First, please forgive me if this is more appropriate in the Shotgun forum. Please relocate it, if so.

I have an old Crescent Arms single shot 16 ga that was my grandfather's. As long as I've had it, when it is fired, the breach pops open. Needless to say, it doesn't get used anymore. I can't help but to think that with the right repairs, it might be shootable again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause and are there any potential fixes?

Thanks for any ideas.

I have one in 12ga. Friend gave me as a wall hanger. It is a cheap farmer's gun. The barrel lug and bite, metal pieces that keep the gun locked, are weak and soft. They can be peened them back in shape to make the gun fire again, but it won't last long before it opens again upon firing. Mine still hangs on the wall after I fixed it.

-TL

Maybe a stronger spring on the opening lever, and a good cleaning to make sure the parts that move are not impeded. Shoot only light loads?

First, please forgive me if this is more appropriate in the Shotgun forum. Please relocate it, if so.

I have an old Crescent Arms single shot 16 ga that was my grandfather's. As long as I've had it, when it is fired, the breach pops open. Needless to say, it doesn't get used anymore. I can't help but to think that with the right repairs, it might be shootable again. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the cause and are there any potential fixes?

Thanks for any ideas.
These were not fine shotguns and many have worn out. Refitting the lock, which may involve Tig welding and recutting, is the fix. Check with a gunsmith and decide if the cost is worth it to you.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I knew it was a cheap gun and I kind of figured that it was a lost cause. I was hoping there might be some sort of fix that wasn't budget-busting as I always liked the 16 gauge. I'd probably be better served finding a 16 that is in good condition to shoot.

Thanks for all the replies. Merry Christmas, y'all! :)

Back