Okay, so I'm not done with semi-autos,,,

aarondhgraham

A very short while back I started a thread titled,,,
I think I'm done with semi-auto pistols.

Since then I've purchased a Ruger SR-22,,,
A Ruger LC-9 will hit the Evil Pawn Shop this week. :eek:

So let me state that my new position will be,,,
I'm done making blanket statements on my gun buying habits.

But, this must be my last gun purchase for a while,,,
I'm starting a major repair/upgrade on my humble abode,,,
This is going to suck up all of my free money for quite some time.

(Until I see that next gun I just HAFTA have)

Aarond

Well if you are remodeling your home, you need to buy a few really old rifles and shotguns as wall hangers. Maybe a couple of original Colt SAA

Also need to invest (or upgrade) in reloading equipment. Did I mention a new safe.

Never say never ;)

Gunvault

A gunvault in the project maybe?? We need to figure out the remedy to ward off the Evil Pawn Shop!! Dont think garlic, silver bullets, wooden stake and such will work!!LOL

Some type of solid gun case/cage/bin is being considered,,,

I really am trying to figure out something along those lines.

My humble abode is a 34 year old mobile home,,,
There is no way the floor would support the weight of a gun safe,,,
Unless I were to get underneath, pour a concrete pad, and brace the floor with 4x4 beams.

I am converting one of the bedrooms into a man cave,,,
So I've been reading up on what some other people have done,,,
One common method is the construction of a cage using expanded sheet metal.

Right now I have two Stack-On steel cabinets,,,
I have lag-bolted them to both the floor and the walls,,,
If I were to add some door blocking pieces of heavy angle iron,,,
That along with some heavy-duty padlocks should give me decent protection.

I'll figure something out,,,
But my first priority is to replace the heating system.

Aarond

My humble abode is a 34 year old mobile home,,, There is no way the floor would support the weight of a gun safe,,, Unless I were to get underneath, pour a concrete pad, and brace the floor with 4x4 beams.

Seperate structure? Something like a Tuff Shed with a concrete floor that you can bolt the safe to. Possibly alter the door frame to fit a solid steel door with a good locking system. Can be an entire gun room with safes, cleaning bench, loading bench, and ammo storage.

Looking at your location, maybe a concrete block structure would be even better. A friend had a block "tornado" room built in one of his tool sheds in Northern MO. But It also contains 7 or 8 gun safes, and ammo shelves.!

Last edited:
A determined criminal would just cut through the wall and avoid the heavy door. Decent gun safes definitly slow them down- but the hard cases can even get those open eventually. Depends on time and how much noise they think they can make safely.

^^^ +1 i got a safe in a storage locker i bought about a year back...was a BigHorn brand....onlt took about 10min with my angle grinder....i was impressed with the grinder,,,not the safe....sense then i have added a security system, and a solid core door with heavy recessed hinges, with a good lock to the enterence to my cave...

Edit: my cave is in a finished basement so i have the added feature of no windows and 1 enterence..

Back