Okay! Found 2 S&Ws...which one to buy though?

Blarneystone

Hi,

Looking for my first revolver. Considered the Taurus. Got some good responses, but it seems that the OVERWHELMING preference among revolver owners is the S&W or Ruger.

I found two of these both in Very good condition and in my price range.

1. is a S&W Model 66-2 357 Mag 4" Bbl. with Box.
2. is a S&W Model 686 357 Mag 6" bbl. no box.

What is the differences between the two besides barrel length? Is one lesser craftsmanship than the other?

I want to use my revolver for target practice, plinking and most importantly Home Defense. I've heard the 6" barrel is almost too long for home defense. However, I hear nothing but EXCELLENT reviews of the 686 model. Plus, the 6" barrel might make a CCW permit unnecessary.

What are your opinions? Which would you buy and why?

THANKS!
:D :D :D

You have done your homework very well, indeed.
I've had both and to start with the 686 weighs in at 41oz and the 66 at 36oz. That's alot of weight difference but with it's slightly larger frame the
686 also controls recoil better. As you didn't mention if you handload then I guess you do not which means you will be shooting mostly .38SPLs
as they are cheaper.

I would lean towards the M66 as it is easier to handle and you won't really need the 6 inch,IMHO.
The 4 inch tube will give you enough performance
to use 110-125JHPs for home defense. If you DO
ever want to carry the lighter and MUCH shorter
66 will be a fine piece.( ASIDE: When the
66 came out is was THE L.E. sidearm in the early '70s and for many years to come)...BEST....dewey

I believe that at this point, it comes down to personal preference. Look at the two, shoot them if you can and pick the one you prefer. You have done your homework; you have asked for, received, and read the advice of many. (I think I am correct in remembering a previous post on this subject) At some point it has to be up to you. Its the only way I believe you will be happy in the long run. It becomes obvious quickly on TFL, that taste varies greatly from one person to another.

So, now dive in, and form your own opinions. Remember, we aren't yet limited to one-gun-in-a-lifetime. If this first one dosen't turn out to be what you hoped for, sell it and get another. If you pay a fair price for it, you shouldn't lose when getting rid of it. A major name brand gun holds its value.

Good luck

The Model 66 is a K-frame, the stainless version of the Model 19. A 19/66 with a 4" tube is an outstanding do-everything handgun, eminently toteable. The K-frame, however, will not tolerate a steady diet of full-power Magnum loads as well as a 686.

The 686 is an L-frame, a bit beefier than a 19/66 (more mass in the frame and especially the forcing cone). Being a 6", it's not a toting gun, but it would make an outstanding house/range revolver. My choice would depend on the intended purpose...both of these guns are great revolvers. The 66 will do everything the 686 can do, while being a viable CCW gun. The 686 will be a bit more pleasant to shoot with Magnums, and it will balance differently thanks to the full barrel underlug. I'd take the 66, but you can't go wrong with a 686 either (I have two, a 6" and a 2 1/2".) That's a nice dilemma to be in...

Me and Sling Shot, along with Rainbow Six agree;

the Smith & Wesson 686 is the way to go.
While I have much respect for the model
66, the 686-5 will handle hotter loads
better; over a longer period of time.:)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

MOLON LABE!!!

I'm chiming in for the M-66

It is more fatiguing on the arm muscles to hold up the weigh of a 6", full underlug barrel while shooting at the range. You must practice with one hand shooting also. In a HD scenario your other hand may be opening doors, corraling the kids, dialing the cell phone etc. You may very well end up wanting to CCW, and then you'd be saddled with the expense of another gun(not that that's a bad thing:)), or trading off the 6" with which you've grown accustom to.

Don't be too put off by the talk of it not handling hot loads. First of all, you don't WANT to mess with any warm stuff until you've built some skills with .38s. Then, you can stuff it full of whatever magnums you can afford/stand to practice with. The caveat is, avoid the 125gr. loads at shuttle launch velocities. A 'med.' load like Remington Golden SAbre is fine. Otherwise, use heavier stuff like Silvertip, or 140gr Hornady XTP.
That's NOT to say that the K-frame is going to fall to pieces on the first shot, it's just a fact that the barrel's forcing cone may wear sooner than with the heavier L/N-frames.:)

I would go with the 686. As a matter of fact, I may pick up a 686+ this weekend if I can talk the dealer down some.

I'll take the 686. It's a heavier frame gun and can sustain a longer diet of .357 ammo than the M66 can. Carrying is no problem either if you go the (slower) shoulder holster route. BTW, shoulder rigs are great considering that you don't have to fumble with the gun if you go to the can.

Thanks to all for the replies..

The S&W fans may be a bit dissapointed with my choice of guns. I went with a Taurus 605. My reasons were the safety lock features (young kids in the house). More CCW ready. And just felt good in my hand.

Plus, it was a new gun.

I was asking the guy with the S&Ws about the two he had and he didn't seem to have any answers. Maybe I'm just too new to all of this, but I thought it would be reasonable that a shop would examine a used gun before they bought/traded it and then put it up for sale. He didn't know anything about them. I asked if the barrel had been cleaned or checked for defect, and I asked if they had modded the trigger action in any way. He said something to the effect of "Hey, when you buy a used gun, you get a gun...no need to go through all the trouble of checking it inside and out."

Plus, on second inspection that 686 WAS heavy!

Thanks again all!

"Hey, when you buy a used gun, you get a gun...no need to go through all the trouble

of checking it inside and out"

That is by far the most assanine thing I have ever heard of. When you buy a used gun thats exactly when you go through the trouble of checing it inside and out.

Typical gun shop saturday commandos I suppose.

Since you went with a 2¼" barrel, are you going to carry concealed as well?

>>>Since you went with a 2¼" barrel, are you going to carry concealed as well?<<<<

If I answer you that, I'll lose my surprise advantage!:D

Actually, yes, I am planning on going for the CCW. And this Revolver seems perfect for that!

Back