Ok this is killing me

DOCSpanky

Even with reduced recoil tactical loads, my Mossy 500 with the factory stock and recoil pad beats the hell out of me with all but birdshot. I want to use buckshot for my last 2 in the chamber, but need a way to reduce the felt recoil. Anybody have a pet recoil pad or any suggestions for me?

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

First, my 870 kicks little. It weighs about 9 lbs with the extended mag,Sidesaddle, and all those shells. Add some weight and the kick will lighten.

Next, try some of the newer reduced recoil loads. I list this second, because the standard stuff works better at longer ranges.

Third, check your form. Lean into the gun and make sure it's pulled back into your pocket firmly.Your front knee should have more than a little bend to it.

I've got a stock 590 that doesn't bother me with anything other than magnum loads, which whack the crap out of my shoulder. i think Dave McC is on with the forward weight argument.

SA Scott

Just thought I'd mention I'm 5'4" and about 165. This is primarily used for Turkey season and 20 guages just don't cut it. The stance in turkey hunting is actually sitting, next to a tree. (NO I AM NOT LEANING ONTO THE TREE AND SANDWICHING MY SHOULDER BETWEEN THE GUN AND THE TREE! I said short, not stupid) I am looking for an add-on stock or buttcover that will help absorb some of the recoil. The factory buttpad is fairly stout. I use 3" Magnum loaded Winchester Supreme Turkey rounds. They dwarf everything I have ever placed on my shoulder in ferocious recoil. The 3" buckshot loads do not even seem to be in the same catagory. It is a one shot sport, so I am not looking for something to ease a day of shooting. I fired 3 of them at the pattern board 3 weeks ago and still have some bruising left. :eek:

------------------
DOCSpanky HM3 USN
Happiness is a smoking gun and a dead criminal;)

DOCSpanky, maybe the stock on your Mossberg needs to be adjusted to fit your particular body type. An ill-fitting stock can really give you a pounding.

I was told that the "quick and dirty" way of determining proper length of pull is to hold your gun pointing up with your dominant arm and let the buttstock rest against the arm, with the butt in the crook of your elbow. The proper pull would allow you to take your standard firing grip with your dominant hand and your trigger finger should rest on the trigger in normal firing (not indexed) position.

Standard production stocks seem to be 13.5" in pull. On some defensive shotguns, the pull will be less (e.g., Winchester's 1300 Defender).

HTH

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

If the only time you have problems is with the 3" turkey loads, and (obviously) you need to use these loads, why not wear a vest-type recoil pad when turkey hunting, and leave the shotgun alone?

With all due respect to jthuang, the relationship of the length of pull to the operator's forearm has nothing to do with stock fit. That supposition has been around for a long time, and I have no idea why. No flames intended; just trying to clarify things. :)

Since you are dealing with a stationary target that does not involve any type of "move, mount, shoot" scenario such as wingshooting or sporting clays, I would not worry much about gun fit. If I understand correctly, the discomfort is limited to your shoulder, and can easily be remedied by a quality recoil pad alone. I suggest that you look into a Pachmayer Decelerator. They are top notch, and will take the sting out of high recoil loads.

Good luck,

Bud

I agree with Bud1. Get a good recoil pad, the Kickeeze pad works well. You also might want to get a pad for your shoulder, reactar and Past both make this type of pad. It fits under your outer garment.

Make sure the butt of the gun is flat against the shoulder when you shoot. Many people try to hold a shotgun like a rifle, in doing so only the tip of the butt comes in contact with the shoulder. Most shotgun butts are made to fit properly when you lean slightly forward as Dave McC stated previously.

Another suggestion is to install mercury filled recoil reducers in the stock, they add weight and cut down the recoil somewhat. You may need a combination of the above measures to reduce the discomfort.

Geoff Ross

DOC, the standard stock is built for Joe Average, a 5'8", guy with about a 32" shirt sleeve. Shortening the stock may result in better fit to you and a little,repeat little, less recoil.

Turkey loads can loosen fillings, with their heavier payloads. Bench or pattern test with lots of padding. I've a wearable shoulder pad here(nicknamed the Wonderbra) I use when benching/zeroing slugs.

Coupla other ideas...

You use a mag plug when turkey hunting, I guess. Get a plug made from solid brass or steel and install it.That'll raise the weight enough.

And, spend maybe $50 and get the forcing cone lengthened. This shortens the pressure spike and lengthens the time of the peak push, so to speak. It also improves patterns, important for Gobbler busting.

Two 3" turkey loads runs about 5-6 oz. Keep two in the mag for that extra weight. Fast followup shots aren't that crucial.

If you reload, try loading an empty w/o wad or powder, just fill the case up with the smallest shot on hand. crimp and epoxy.That can serve as more weight also.

One thing about Turkey loads. When I tested some out a while back, the two that gave the tightest patterns in my 870 were a 1 5/8 oz Remington Duplex 4X6 and a 1 1/4 oz Winchester #5 shot,2 3/4" load. Close to identical numbers of holes,and that #5 load was a lot easier on me.

Hope this helps...

LISTEN TO BUD!!!!!!
I hunt turkeys with an 835 Moss. 3 1/2" mag.
I use the Federal copperplated loads. I'm 6'1" and 175lbs. When I first shot the "Big Dog" to pattern it, I thought I broke my nose! I went with a Decelerator and they really help!! Now my eyes just water!! :D
CJB
( you should have seen my 100 lb. wife shoot the 3 1/2" Mag!! :rolleyes: )

Ok, this subject seems to be pretty well beat. But one thing that I have not heard mentioned is this: flinching can increase felt-recoil a bunch. When your mind starts telling your body to anticipate the impending recoil, your entire body tightens up. Your muscles tense and stiffen your joints. When this happens, you become more of a brick-wall to the recoiling gun. IME, the best way to minimize felt-recoil is to move with the gun, and not to move until the gun does. Don't flinch, just let the gun shove you back. That way, the energy of the shotgun is used to push your chest (whole chest, head, and shoulder) back. This leads to less felt recoil. Focus on just letting the gun go where it does when it does after you fire. Hope this helps out some.

Hueco

Bud, thanks for the clarification. I got that tip from a stockmaker even. :)

I would still recommend fitting the stock to the shooter. John Farnam even has a little blurb in his rifle/shotgun book about having the right length of pull for a longarm. A proper-fitting stock can do wonders.

Beyond that and the suggestions offered, maybe Vang Comp can do something for you -- his Comp system supposedly reduces recoil as well as tightens shot patterns. Check out http://www.vangcomp.com

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania

Erick, somehow "Wimp" doesn't quite seem to fit you,IMO.

I started using the PAST pad when I had to zero a stock 870(6 lbs, 10 oz) with Brennekes from the bench.That combo could kill at one end and cripple at the other.

One final idea, which applies more if you're either female or barrel chested. Sand the toe of the recoil pad down a trifle if it's pointy. During recoil, this part will dig in a little harder,so reducing the point will cause all the pad to bear even amounts of force, thus spreading it around a bit.

Pate, Hogue makes good products, I just wonder how all that weight in the butt affects the balance of the piece. My 9 lb 870 swings well because the weight's balanced between my hands. Doesn't handle quite like a quail gun, but it comes close.

DOCSpanky,
The problem is not the lack of some gizmo one thinks he need to attach to his shotgun, the shotgun as sold is fine, the problem is technique. Get that SG firmly mounted in the shoulder pocket, establish a solid cheek weld, and lean into it with a solid stance. Good luck.

Originally posted by DOCSpanky:
Even with reduced recoil tactical loads, my Mossy 500 with the factory stock and recoil pad beats the hell out of me with all but birdshot. I want to use buckshot for my last 2 in the chamber, but need a way to reduce the felt recoil. Anybody have a pet recoil pad or any suggestions for me?
[/QUOTE having the stock cut to 12.5 to 13.inches with a packmayer deaccelarator pad will do wonders.do alot of practicing with field loads and get use to loading and unloading the gun.next try shooting it with the field loads for a while then shoot some reduced recoil slugs and buck.you will build up a resistance in no time with a little hard work and dedication ed

Hi docspanky and all-

I certainly don't mean to imply that your technique is faulty. I would, however, just to be on the safe side, investigate tuc22'd advice.

When I started shooting shotguns I was self taught and got some bad bruising every time until an old timer mentored me...

Are you making sure to apply the butt of your stock tightly (I mean really tightly) against your shoulder? For the first few shots I would even put strong forced pressure into it - i.e. pull back on the whole shotgun with both weak and strong hand against your shoulder. Of course you will be all tensed up and your accuracy will go to hell but if you find out that the recoil feels much better then it's just a matter of firming up the butt against your shoulder.

Of course I am sure you know that- but just in case here goes - I had to have somebody explain it to me once, although I had been shooting handguns for quite a few years at the time - but it did not help me w/ shotguns... Best of luck!

Back