OK, so piggies can see orange much better than ungulates / deer?

I don't know about pigs, but it has long been known that deer, and probably most other big game animals see blue easier than other colors. I'd bet pigs eyes are very similar to deer.

It has long been said that deer are color blind. Which is true, but most people assume that means they see in shades of black and white. That is completely false. It just means they don't see the same colors as most humans.

There are lots of different types of color blindness in humans. some cannot tell the difference between blue and green. Both colors look exactly the same. Another color blind person may be able to distinguish blue and green, but to them black and red look exactly the same.

This is what happens with deer. They see colors, just not the same colors we see. Some camo, or some colors that blend in to a human eye, may well stand out to a deer, and colors such as blaze orange which stands out in most outdoor settings to humans blends in quite well to most big game animals.

Most birds such as waterfowl and turkey have eyes very similar to humans.

Pigs can hear and smell real good. Sight isn't great. Their eyes from what I know do not glow in the dark when a light is shined on them like deer, raccoons, foxed and coyotes.

I see hog eyes shining back on my cameras almost nightly. That is a myth about their eyes not reflecting light.
I do believe that a good camo pattern can be a good thing, but determining the colors that animals see can be a bit of conjecture I think.

Colors don't matter as much as movement

Any camo that breaks up your outline will help, and if you are still they won't pay much attention to you

Don't know what colors they see or don't see, we have hunted them wearing orange, that bright safety lime yellow, jeans and tee shirts, and full blown camo and had them running over us, or away as fast as they could get there.

I know for a fact they can pick you off at over a hundred yards, been there had it happen too many times. We ridged up the backside of a flood levee one morning to find close to 50 of them standing around 200yds away. Nothing but the tops of our knoggins sticking up and the wind in our face. They were feeding across towards us when the matriarch sow stopped dead in her tracks looking right at us and turned tail and left with the others in tow. They didn't all make it back to the woods, but it would have been a whole lot better had they come in closer.

I have had them walk right up to me as if I wasn't even there, and I have had the come in and stop dead in their tracks like a few weekend back, and hit reverse as fast as they could.

Now hearing and smell, I think they are a step up on a white tail in those areas, not to mention being smart. They learn REAL quick sometimes only taking once to figure out something ain't right.

Mike / TX - very helpful; thanks.

I know for a fact they can pick you off at over a hundred yards, been there had it happen too many times. We ridged up the backside of a flood levee one morning to find close to 50 of them standing around 200yds away. Nothing but the tops of our knoggins sticking up and the wind in our face. They were feeding across towards us when the matriarch sow stopped dead in her tracks looking right at us and turned tail and left with the others in tow. They didn't all make it back to the woods, but it would have been a whole lot better had they come in closer.

Wearing orange on top of said noggins or not?

I have had them walk right up to me as if I wasn't even there, and I have had the come in and stop dead in their tracks like a few weekend back, and hit reverse as fast as they could.

Wearing orange or not, on each occasion?

Thanks.

Sometimes full camo sometimes just jeans and tee shirts depends on when and where.

Never wear the orange but do on occasions wear one of those super bright yellow vest like some of the highway workers have. Usually though if we have those on we're in search and destroy mode though and not worried about stealth.

A few have seen the orange, red, yellow fireball from my Remington 760C 30-06 18.5" barrel at 2am in the morning, that is if their optic nerve registered the brilliant light and got the message to the brain before the lights went out forever. :eek:

I agree with Mike

The Pigs can smell you a long way off. ........ BUT

Hunt the wind! Hunt the wind!........ Hunt the wind!

You can actually sneak close to them if you are careful.

The hearing may be good, but I have seen pigs make so much racket,
snorting and oinking they aren't using it sometimes. (Or chose not to)

On the other hand, when they think somethings up, the herd gets very quiet

Then they can hear you coming

They seem to rely on their nose first and foremost

Then ears

Then eyes

Back