OK, so I picked up my first vintage Auto5 tonight...

Slugo

1965 I believe, Twenty gauge with 28" ventilated rib barrel and **choke (Mod). The gun is in excellent condition. I guess I'll have to stop making fun of them, now that I've been bitten... :rolleyes:

8569037259_d917445c67_b.jpg

Getting back to the shotgun, I was given one just like it many years ago, and loved it. Never any kind of malfunction, shot like a dream.

Unfortunately, in my drinking days I went crazy and sold it. Still miss that gun. Hang onto yours!

It's just the way they cycle, either you like it or not.
Yup. The first time you'll say "what the heck was that?", then you'll start to like it. The best part is that they are almost impossible to miss with (but somehow I still manage a few).

The Auto-5, the gun that is so nice that it kicks you twice. First on firing and unlock and second when the spring pushes the barrel and bolt back. I would be chary of taking 'the Fist of Moses' 12ga to a high volume shooting event. The 20ga is managable but use a good vest. A classic design in production, with mods, for more than 100 years, yes? That is a beauty. Shooting JMB firearms is like listening to JSB music.

I would have love to have had a A5 in twenty gauge but my budget at the time
(most i've found were $1000 and up!) wouldn't allow it. So I looked around and found the A5's poor cousin, a Remington model 11 in 20ga., 28" inch barrel with a poly choke for $200.

The finish was worn the wood somewhat oil soak but according to the gunsmith that refinished (an additional $350) the gun it had been well maintained (which in his opinion was the cause of most if not all the exterior wear) showning little to no wear on internal parts.

Of course the Model 11 doesn't have the finish of the A5 but I don't think the rabbits, birds or clays mind that it's not as pretty. Seeing that the Model 11 is nothing more then a economical A5 lacking only in the spit and polish. I don't feel the lessor for not getting the A5 and would recommend to anyone if they could find one the Model 11.

the Remington built Model 11 is an absolute classic! The guy who owned my 20 has one and I think it's the most unique A5 of all of them...

Order up new friction rings and recoil spring ,...

and replace the ones there. This will keep the action functioning nicely.

LOOKS NICE!

Enjoy.

just as an aside, this gun belonged to a district justice in central PA. Ex cop, turns lawyer, turns judge!! :eek:

If you go to the Midwest Gun Works web site they have a section on Brownings. In that section you can download the factory service manual. Something nice to have.

Back