OK now im really POed

I just talked to the farmer whos land me and my father inlaw and his son have been hunting on for over 10 years. Never had aproblem. We go talk to him ever year about this time for coyote ,praire dog and deer hunting. This year he says "well i got me acoupel guys from vermont that'll pay me a thousand dollars a head to hunt here this year. If you guys wanna hunt it cost oyu the same." THere aint no loyalty anymore. Money hungry jerks.

SW

Times are tough. I imagine doubly so for a farmer. Money doesn't seem to go quite as far as it used to, so people will do what they can to make do.

I can't say I'd be doing the same thing in his situation, but I can see where he's coming from.

We used to have about the same arrangement with the folks who owned the land around ours. We helped take care of the area ( kept roads clear, gates closed, trash picked up, etc) A few years ago a lot of out of state folks came in and rented it from him. We did not get to hunt on it that year.
When thier lease was up, he came back and offered it to us a lot lower rate than what they paid.
Seems they left trash everywhere, cut trees (owner is big in the timber business) and generally made a mess of the whole place.
Now we pay a small lease and do some of the same stuff we did before.
Let him know that you are still interested and can help him out some.
Good hunting land is getting harder to find and keep every year. It is worth the extra effort to get in good graces with those who own it.
Will

ran into the same problem a few years back

Ask him if it is just for one specific type of game that they are paying to hunt. I had a farmer do the same to me a few years ago when asking for permission to hunt deer (said a few guys from NY were leasing hunting rights), but he said that I could hunt pheasants and prairie dogs, but not deer (with rifle, bow was ok). That's the way it is going nowdays. Times are tough and they are trying to make money anyway they can. Ended up buying a few acres so I don't have to worry about asking for permission anymore (at least for deer).

$1000.00 is too <Art's Grammaw was here, removing foul language that won't be posted again.> high :barf: ,unless he gets real say $200.00 a head or so. I think it is unreasonable and you should look for greener pastures .there is a lot of price gougeing going on nowadays .a dollar ain't worth a damn anymore but that is way over the line .just think of it this way those other guys are suckers for paying that much ,and you my friend are just too smart to let that greedy farmer take advantage of you .you may even find a better place to hunt ,good luck and good hunting .;)

What state are you in. In some states the land owner is liable for the safety of those hunting on his land if he charges a fee. But can't be held liable if no fee is charged. That makes a big differance to some people. They don't want to carry the extra insurance. If its that way where you're at it couldn't hurt to mention that to him. Never hurts to try. If nothing else he might be thankful for the info.

BUSTER51, I suggest you do a bit of looking around Arizona and find out what it costs, there, to hunt on private land.

Depending on what state you're in, prices can get very high. I was offered some pretty good whitetail land, 3,200 acres at $4/acre. I'd say the place would have worked out for at most six or eight hunters.

A friend of mine over on the Pecos River regularly takes in some $40,000/year from his 4,800 acres.

South Georgia and on down into Florida, good hunting is gonna cost a person somewhere north of $1,000 or $2,000 and even more.

You can always pop for a quick $5K for a Rocky Mountain guided elk hunt.

Back into the 1970s, a bunch of us were leasing a ranch near Uvalde, Texas. Some guys came along and BID, cash offer, four times as much money as we had been paying. $3 an acre for 7,000 acres.

Hey, the price of poker keeps going up...

Art

This guy doenst care if hes liable or not. Hes old enough all he sees is the money. My dad has land but its not very good for hunting so i guess il have to start lookng around. BTW they are paying for complete hunting control of the land and the farmer told me they dont want anyone else hunting on it if they pay.

SW

from south dakota right?

Aren't you from South Dakota?

Just go and ask somebody else, there is lots of land in SD to hunt on.

Lots of public land as well.

Just start asking around with other farmers, may have to drive a bit, but better than playing deer hunter on the PC during the real deer season.

If no luck, let me know and you can come down and use my land in Yankton county (kinda hard to get a tag for rifle season there) since I won't be able to use it during rifle season this year (bow and muzzel loader season my brother has it reserved).

My lease cost me $400 a year with a house, beds, running water and all the luxuries of home. But I did not find this lease over night. Do some looking! I also had some really good times hunting on state and fed land. The one thing I don't like about state or fed land is that they have more rules! That sucks!

thanks for the offer universal but i wont be able to drive for deer season this year. The problem in the aera i hunt in (around the Lemmon-Bison-lodgepole area) is all the farmers have had problems with the game fish and parks not wanting to protect thier crops and livestock feed from deer and antelope depradation and then balking on reparations for the damage. This had led to the fact that most small scale farmers wont let you hunt on a GFP tag because of the hatred of the dept. If you wanted to just go shoot one they woudlnt say a thing but thats not my style. There was a large fight last fall when they released those wolves over in Harding county and the ranchers pretty much closed the whole county down for deer hunting that year. I see no difference for this year. This is also starting to bleed into Perkins county where i hunt. They killed a mountain lion about 20 miles from my dads farm a few eeeks ago and the damn cat was one they bred and released. then to top it off they refused to pay the damages to the ladys car that hit it. the GFP agent said she shoudl back off or theyd charge her with killing a protected species. Needless to say THAT really improved relations between the GFP and farmers/ranchers.

SW

silicone wolverine said:
THere aint no loyalty anymore. Money hungry jerks.

The landowner might say:

People always want somethin' for nothin'. Ungrateful punks.

Rather than bad-mouth this landowner, you should take him out to dinner for letting your family have the privilege of hunting on his land for "over 10 years."

The man let you hunt for ten years for free...how can you call him a money hungry jerk? Get used to it, the free ride is over.

Thats because in the context of where we live he is amoney hungry jerk. Most people that do pay hunting around here is around 100-200$ a head for the whole season. This guy wnats 1000$ for the two days we can hunt there!

SW

SW,
Don't have animosities toward the farmer that has let you hunt for 10 years at no expense to you. Before the day of the "Deer hunting Lease", he probably spent 10 to 12 hours a day, 7 days a week trying to make a living out of his property. If you dad has land, he can tell you that it is no easy task.
Most of the land owners here are cattle ranchers, and most have figured out, there is more money in leasing land for hunting, than there ever has been in cattle.
Your farmer freind can probably make more from leasing his land, and not having to do anything to it, than having to work his butt off, and barely break even.
Let's face it, the day of the free ride is pretty much over for most of us, and we would all be better off to recognize, that if we don't get hunting land nailed down on a LONG lease basis with landowners, then our children won't have a good place to hunt when they are ready.
There are farmers and ranchers that want to lease land for hunting so they can control how many people, and who they are, on their land. Those guys probably won't take as much money from you, since they are more interested in controlling their property than the other guys who just want the dollars.
Look around and you will find some land, and when you do, ask for a 10 or 20 year lease agreement with the owner.(and take care of his property like it was your own)

What would YOU do if you were the farmer? I don't see anything at all disloyal about it - it's a matter of putting your land to use, that you worked hard to pay for and acquire. I can't imagine being able to hunt free on any private land, and would be thanking him generously for all the time that you did hunt there for free. But that's different around here, I guess - I can see that your perspective is obviously different, due to the customs up there, so can't really blame you for feeling the way you do, I suppose. What state are talking about anyhow?

I've been around the farming/ranching bidness since around 1940. I like to think I know a bit about it.

When we deer-leased at Uvalde, for several years all we paid was the rancher's school taxes.

Note that the ad valorem tax-collector folks don't care if it rains or not, or if the livestock market goes in the toilet. They want "their" tax money Or Else.

I don't blame any landowner for wanting some amount of fee for the right to trespass on his land. :)

Art

THere aint no loyalty anymore. Money hungry jerks.

Too many hunters spoil the hunt.

He's getting $1k/head from out-of-town folk to come hunt his place. If he lets non-paying people continue to hunt for free, he's hurting his paying client's chances, along with their likelihood of coming back the following year. That's money out of his pocket.

For many farmers and ranchers, their real product is the hunting lease that they provide on the land. If you want to continue to hunt for free, perhaps you should offer a deal to work it out in kind over the non-hunting season. I've been blessed to hunt on private land for free many times, but I've also worked on fences, and corrals, scraped and painted the rancher's house, and picked up trash to provide some kind of value to the landowner.

Knock on his door during this off-season and ask what you can do to help, or pay his price, or go elswhere. Calling a small-business owner a jerk because he doesn't want to give his product away for free anymore is unproductive and reflects poorly upon yourself.

Back