OK my second post - here is a pic of my new Dragoon!

O.S.O.K.

Hey guys, I'm new here but have about 15K threads and replies floating around on various boards :) .

I just got a new cap and ball and thought I'd share the pics, so here they are:
HPIM0378.JPG

HPIM0380.JPG

HPIM0382.JPG

Its a Uberti 1848 3rd Model Colt Dragoon. The third pic shows it with my Pietta 1860 Colt Army for comparison. Its a bear of a pistol and I am very favorably impressed with its quality so far. The fit and finish is excellent, the grip wood looks good and the trigger is outstanding.

This is a 44 Caliber which is actually .451" or it may like .454" balls. It can push the 140 grain balls out over 1200 fps! :eek: This is the model that immediately followed the 1847 Colt Walker.

I can't wait to get it cleaned up (remove all the oil) and off to the range to try her out.

I was hoping that it would fit the CS brown flap holster that I already have for the 1860 but no-go - just too beefy. So, ordered a black one from Dixie.

I also got a Lee conical bullet mould - 2 holer and will be trying those out too - they are heavier around 200 grains if memory serves but will go out of the muzzle almost as fast at the balls if loaded such.

I'm going to load it with round balls, Pyrodex P and wonder wads and see how it goes. Going to try CCI magnum #11 caps to start with. Member mec here was kind enough to post some loads on another board (probably here too) and I'll use those as a guide.

Hopefully I'll have some nice pics of targets to share in the near future!

You will enjoy the Dragoon

It's a fun, fun gun, probably my favorite to shoot. I have both a 2nd Model Uberti and a 3rd Model Colt Signature; the Uberti is my shooter and the Colt just looks too nice to pick up and handle (although it shoots like a dream, too).
650.jpg

thanks y'all

Hopefully I'll have some pics of a target soon - probably at 40 yards. mykeal, those are some sweet lookin guns - I like the wood on the Uberti. The Colts were made by Uberti for Colt weren't they? Finished off in the US like Cimaron does right? With proper markings and all...

Nice!

Hi there,

Lurker here too that finally registered. I have the same two pistols actually, a Dragoon 2nd Model by Uberti and an Army 1860 by Pietta! Love them both too. I also shoot a Model 1861 Springfield by Pedersoli.

Very nice guns! Just an FYI, i've found my Pietta Army works best with #11 caps, they fit nice and tight and have had no problems. The Army likes .454 balls, they give a good seal. The Dragoon seems to work best with Remington #10's. I do have to pinch them though to get them snug but haven't had any problems. The Dragoon likes the .457 balls.

Also let me know if you start having a loading lever drop problem with your Dragoon. I have a quick relatively easy fix for it!

good information

Thanks! I believe the loading lever fix is to deepen the notch in the catch a bit no? And maybe put a spent primer under the lever spring or replace with a slightly stronger one? Lurk, lurk, lurk. ;)

All's I have on hand is #11's and no .457" balls - just .451 adn 454, so I'm trying those. My 1860 does good with the .451" but may do better with the larger ones, simplifying my inventory!

yep

hehe,

yep, that's it. just deepen the notch a bit more with a small file or very fine saw. make the positive catch parrellel with the barrel instead of angled the way they come from the factory. just take your time and go slow and easy and it's really no problem. i kinda like the fact that these italian guns need a bit of fine tuning. that way i make them my own.

my army definitely prefers the .454 and the dragoon the .457. i'm sure you could get away with using the .454 balls in both. the .451's in my army are still a bit loose and you may have the same problem. the .457 balls in the dragoon definitely seal better than the .454. experiment though, you may find yours prefer something different! you should definitely buy a few different caps too and play around with them til you find what you like. i only shoot round ball, no conicals for me. my final mod may be replacing both the army and the dragoon nipples with aftermarkets. haven't decided yet though.

i may just get ambitious here and post a few pics of mine as well!

Back