Ok - just what is "the interview stance"?

When an Officer is talking to a subject he/she stands in front and to the left or right of the subject at a distance of 6 feet. Basically the 2 or 10 O'Clock position.

Ironbarr - Here's some from another forum.

"The interview stance, as far as I was aware, has LEO origins, and accomplishes several things - it places you in more of a boxers stance where you'll have the ability to keep your balance better, it rotates the handgun mounted on your hip away from the person you're interacting with (creating distance), and one pt. I haven't seen mentioned yet. Especially for LEO's, if I was along a vehicle making contact with the driver, and got some bad "vibes," the interview stance allows the LEO to actually get a firing grip on his holstered handgun without the occupant of the car realizing it. By skipping the first step of the draw sequence, we're slightly ahead of the game. It can appear as if your hand is on or at your waist/belt but you can place your hand on your handgun if your interview stance properly places your holstered handgun to the rear of your body. A speedrock or firing from retention/pectoral position can be accomplished from a random buzzer/stimulus at approx. .50 sec from this position. Much faster than having to acquire the grip. You know the saying, "A gun in the hand is better than one holstered."

This was my post from - http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74167&highlight=interview+stance where there's much more on this topic.

EricO

I gotcha good with that link, Andy. Now you'll have a ton of questions! :D

I recommend the book, too.

Then you'll want to take a few classes...

;)

Thanks, folks... good stuff...

Quartus,
Yep.

For the record, life, I find, has a perpetual learning curve - seems, for me anyway, that I'll not graduate until "The Box". I suspect we (most of us) are in the same boat. Since we all travel the same path, but with various "off-road" sights, sounds, and touching, each has a somewhat overall different experience. The better and best parts of that experience, when offered to others will often fill in the blanks, open new doors, or just validate the other's experience.

Everyone (in sharing) tends to win.

Thank you - all.

-Andy

When I took my first Farnam class, he also included holding your off hand up in a nice palm out gesture ...not threatening but not inviting any closer contact.

Also handy for a strike if the person decided to close

Back