OK, got the M27, now, do I convert it to 9mm for practice

JAFO001

I've been looking at the M27 for a while. In surfing around, I see that a 9mm conversion barrel is sold by several manufacturers. I reload 9mm and have heard that most Kabooms happen with the .40 reloads and stock barrels that don't fully support the bullet casing. Now, for practice shooting and shooting my 9mm reloads, has anyone had any experience with the 9mm conversions for the M27? Do I need to change any other parts so that the 9mm bullet will feed/eject properly? Also, anyone out there (with years of experience) shooting their .40 reloads in a stock Glock barrel? Opinions wanted.

I don't have any experience with the 9mm conversion for the G27. I just reload for 40S&W and have had no problems or KB's doing it. Just stay within spec and you'll be OK. I also use Lee dies which resize the case all the way down. I've heard that Dillon dies don't resize the web (bottom part of case) because they have a bevel on the bottom.

My typical 40S&W reload is 180g TMJ bullets with 5.0g of W231. Alliant Power Pistol, when I can find it, is an even better powder for 40S&W. I've shot literally thousands of these reloads through my G27. It has been 100% reliable and accurate the whole time.

There is not, to my knowledge, any way of converting a Glock 27 to 9mm. The face of the slide is the wrong size. The Catastrophic FAILURE (notice it's not plural) that I read about was due to a reloader using soft lead bullets. These bullets were shedding rings of lead with each pass by the throat of the barrel where it squeezes the bullet down. Because the Glock barrel distorts rather than cuts the bullets, the barrel quickly picked up enough lead to cause pressures to rise to the point of a blowing out the unsupported area of the cases. This is not a typical story and was basically a Darwin Award Candidate who was trying to commit suicide the slow way. Reload if you want to but use FMJ or Hardcast bullets made by a reputable manufacturer. Caliber Conversion would require a new slide and magazine. If you buy a cut-rifling barrel from Federal Ord, Bar-Sto, etc then you will have less likelyhood of this happening.

Thanks for replies. 9mm conversion info.

I found the mention of 9mm conversions on
http://www.norecoil.com

They don't mention if any changes other than the barrel need to be made. I have an e-mail into them.

Also, Glockmeister.com has a 9mm barrel for the 27, but they recommend changing the extractor and ejector.

JAF. Looks good to me. I wonder how they accomplish this? The only way I can think is that the extractor on the 40 is long enough to snap around the cartridge of the 9mm. I don't have a Glock handy so I don't know if this is true. Glockmeister has it right that a new ejector and extractor would be in order. The versatility is interesting though.

At any rate, it might take a while to get enough out of the switch to make it worth the cost of the barrel and magazine. If the 9mm is, say, $20 cheaper per thousand rounds you'd have to fire 6,000 rounds to make up your money. $100 for barrel, $20 for magazine. Not to mention voiding the warranty. Further... if you had to change the ejector (difficult) and extractor every time you do the conversion, you'd risk parts breakage and loss and damaging your investment.

Just different terms to think of it in. If it were I, I'd opt for the Ceiner conversion if they make it for the 27. Talk about savings.

Back