Ok, ever hear of this gun?

poprivit

Inactive
It's a flintlock, built around 1810, single-shot pistol. It was for the Nizam of Hyderabad's Cavalry. (Hyderabad is a huge province in India. Nizam = very rich king.) Around .69 -.72 cal. Built by The East India Company. It has the Company's rampant lion crest under the lock. Condition is V. good. S/N 1.
Pistol was authenticated by Holland & Holland in 1984. It's 100% complete. I have all the paperwork about the gun; including a 4-color 14-page brochure about the Nizam's Cavalry that shows the gun in some very old photos.

Why all this? Welllll, I'm trying to get a value as I have a chance to go on Safari in Botswana in April 2008 and need every dime I can raise.

It has to be sold!

If I can figure out how to post photos, I will.

Attachments

• DSC_6.JPG
    DSC_6.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 108
That would be something you would advertise on one of the gun auction sites or even with one of the big gun auction houses too, as long as you can show good provenance and have all your documentation in order. That is a pretty esoteric item but some collector might happen to be able to give you more info. It is probably a scarce enough item that getting a good value on a forum online would be difficult. Something for advanced collectors or perhaps offshore collectors, too. Perhaps one of the antique arms dealers in Britain would have a better grasp of the value. Good luck. Plus if you sell it over there, you will get some valuable Euros or Pounds, not crummy devalued dollars!

Hi, poprivit,

Where are you? That kind of thing might be of more interest in the UK than in the US, but you still might get a decent price here. The trouble is that the best bet would be consignment to an auction service, but I am not sure you have time for that.

If there are any large gun shows near you, that might be your best chance of selling. You won't get what it is worth retail, but then you are in a hurry. FWIW, most guns of that general type seem to go for around $1500, but with good provenance, that might double.

Another idea is to sell to one of the large antique dealers, but same problem. I will give you some phone numbers and maybe someone can help or refer you to someone else.

Hansen & Hansen (CT) 203-259-7337 e-mail cwlopi@aol.com

Paul Ambrose (CT) 203-452-9035

Mike d'Ambra (CA) 858-279-3408

David Condon (VA) 540-687-5642 e-mail dcondon@mediasoft.net

HTH

Jim

Back