Ok dumb suppressor question for today

Dustin0

Is there a suppressor out there that can work on 5.56 and 22 LR.

Just to make sure I under stand the rules on this. If i get a suppressor I can put it on any gun I own. Given that its the correct calbier.

Any .223/5.56 can will work for 22 lr. The problem is that rimfire ammo will gunk your nice 5.56 can up. Most silencer lovers will buy a dedicated rimfire can.

And yes... you can put your can on whatever it's capable of mounting to.

It would be my 1st one. Iam building an SBR now. So Iam thing the next thing will be a suppressor.

Last edited:
5.56 cans typically don't break down for cleaning. A good portion of .22rf cans do break down and the baffles can be cleaned by the owner. Lead deposits very quickly in rimfire cans, and since returning the cans to a servicing dealer or manufacturer costs $,hassle and shooting downtime, a breakdown can is nice to have. Popping a rimfire can open and scrubbing it with Hoppes costs very little $.

Yup, anything strong enough for .223 is going to be too heavy for 22 rimfire. Add to that the leading problem. Get a good dedicated can for each one.

This may be off topic, but are suppressors allowed for just anyone? or do you have to have a tax stamp? also, is there a difference between a silencer and a suppressor?

This may be off topic, but are suppressors allowed for just anyone?
If you are in a state that allows them and can own a regular firearm, then you can own a suppressor.

or do you have to have a tax stamp?
"Buying" the stamp is part of buying a NFA item.

The tax stamp is basically a receipt showing you paid the $200 NFA "sales tax". You fill out the Form 4, send it in with the finger print cards and stuff, the ATF approves the Form 4 and applies the stamp to one of the Form 4's, and sends it back to your SOT. Once the SOT has the approved Form 4 you can then go take possession of the NFA item and your Form 4.

Remember, a Form 4 is legally a tax document.

also, is there a difference between a silencer and a suppressor?
The government calls them silencers, just like it calls ketchup a vegetable, but most NFA owners prefer to call them suppressors, since they don't make the gun truly silent. "Can" is also a slang term for suppressor.

Silencer guys call them SILENCERs. ;)

Check out Silencertalk.com and that Silencertesting site that Titsworth runs.

Motorcycle riders call their exhaust systems silencers also, as do industrial pneumatic tool companies on the exhaust of their tools.

I have no idea why the armchair operators in this industry get upset with the term, it is the industry std. description.

Regarding silencer v suppressor.....

Yes, there is a difference.

I can't fit "suppressor" in the tiny little box on the form.

Back