OK Constitutional Carry Is Five Days Old

Status
Not open for further replies.

thallub

Yep, there have already been some noteworthy incidents by "Second Amendment rights" activists.

The owner of an OK City local grill has unwelcomed long gun carriers after this Second Amendment "auditor" showed up:

“I am carrying the AR-15, we are open carry OC in the ghetto. We are in the ghetto guys,” said Harper in the video.

As he posted the live video, supporters on his YouTube page posted comments like “Target Practice” and “More Fake Jews,” and “These guys hate the white man”. Another simply wrote, “If you feel threatened for your life could make ourself feel safe. Shoot ‘em.”

Miller Grill owner Jason McCormick, a supporter of the Second Amendment himself, said there’s no place for that in his restaurant.

https://www.news9.com/story/4127082...-pictures-of-man-carrying-ar15-in-okc-surface

Bankers and others are concerned:

https://www.oba.com/2019/01/25/second-amendment-auditors-huh/

With guys like these who needs anti-gunners.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what did Oklahoma state law say about open carry of long guns prior to the new, permitless carry law going into effect?

I don't suggest an auditor visit a local bank with a long gun. Dude would find out that we can do most anything we want but need to be mindful of accepting the consequences. Wonder how this audit business affects other firearm owners. Hope these audit guys do not decide to visit a school or church.

I've been in "the ghetto". It has never occurred to me to proclaim, "We are in the ghetto now!".

The real value would be in a compiler with an internet application rather than an auditor. Yelp gives restaurant ratings and GasBuddy tells people where the cheapest gasoline is. The value is in the reporting to users whether a business prohibits patrons who are armed but whose arm is not concealed. The app would ideally allow businesses to self report.

The problem with Rifle McBeergut as a test is that it isn't entirely clear which aspect of his person makes people wish he would leave.

Last edited:
Yep. Seem to recall many warnings of this type behavior over the years in this very forum. Something about being beholden to the lowest common denominators of intelligence, decency, courtesy and common sense. That was all glossed over.

It isn't so much open carry as it is people making fools and public spectacles out of themselves. Since we can't eliminate that...

I don't like open carry in public places. It does our cause more harm than anything else.

This ^.

It isn't so much open carry as it is people making fools and public spectacles out of themselves.

And this ^.

Although there are so MANY people making fools and public spectacles of themselves for so MANY different reasons this might not be as bad as we fear.

It's just...not classy. I think most people on this site agree about this 'in your face' open carry but then when we've had the occasional anti-gun person show up on this site the members have almost always treated them respectfully and posted thoughtful (and correct) reasons to support our positions. (And that's another reason I like this site.)

While I understand the reticence of some of you to open carry because it may alarm Suzie Soccermom, the opposing view is that anything that's kept hidden, out of sight and out of mind, tends to be alarming when it may need to be uncovered due to necessity. The reason the Suzie Soccermoms of the world get the vapors when they see a GUN!!! is that they have been brainwashed into believing that everyone who has a gun is a mass murderer who will start blasting away any moment.

In places where open carry is legal and commonplace, you mostly don't see anyone getting the vapors over encountering a (GASP!) "man with a gun" if said man is somewhat presentably dressed, clean shaven or has a neatly-trimmed beard, and doesn't smell like a hog farm. Around here, where open carry is legal but not commonplace, my [limted] experience is that if you open carry when dressed in decent slacks and a polo shirt or a button-down shirt, with the gun in a nice holster on a leather belt, anyone who notices the gun will probably think you're a cop.

The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of coutering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.

DaleA said:
It's just...not classy.

Other things that aren't "classy" include speaking unpopular opinions publicly, attending socially disfavored churches, telling a highway patrolman that he doesn't have your consent to search your car, and arguing with internal revenue about your taxes.

Yet, any of those can be important, necessary, and may deserve our defense. Put differently, a right we can exercise only when it meets wide approval is not right at all.

Aguila Blanca said:
The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of countering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.

Indeed. A society in which no one is ever seen with an arm is going to more readily accept that no one should have or needs an arm. No one can be shocked by a common sight, and we should expect even normal people to note unusual sights. Ordinary people carrying in an ordinary way should seem ordinary to us.

While I understand the reticence of some of you to open carry because it may alarm Suzie Soccermom, the opposing view is that anything that's kept hidden, out of sight and out of mind, tends to be alarming when it may need to be uncovered due to necessity. The reason the Suzie Soccermoms of the world get the vapors when they see a GUN!!! is that they have been brainwashed into believing that everyone who has a gun is a mass murderer who will start blasting away any moment.

In places where open carry is legal and commonplace, you mostly don't see anyone getting the vapors over encountering a (GASP!) "man with a gun" if said man is somewhat presentably dressed, clean shaven or has a neatly-trimmed beard, and doesn't smell like a hog farm. Around here, where open carry is legal but not commonplace, my [limted] experience is that if you open carry when dressed in decent slacks and a polo shirt or a button-down shirt, with the gun in a nice holster on a leather belt, anyone who notices the gun will probably think you're a cop.

The fact is (IMHO), we need more people who look and act like gentlemen (and ladies) to open carry, as a way of coutering the stereotype that anyone with a gun must be a killer and is therefore to be feared.
I am as pro2A as they come. Soccer mom votes. Jimmy Jackwagon open carrying his M-4gery into Walmart makes a bunch of folks anti gun.

Jimmy Jackwagon open carrying his M-4gery into Walmart makes a bunch of folks anti gun.

Maybe.

The political experience of the last couple of decades suggests that OC and a wider public consciousness that ordinary people may carry arms have put individual rights in a stronger position in the states. In mono-party systems where anti-gun sentiment is already strong, open carry rallies may not result winning over people already opposed to private arms. In other places it can be part of a political movement that results in public and police acceptance.

Condemning Jimmy Jackwagon for exercising a valid right clumsily in a strategic effort to upset no one can't be ultimately effective. The world has an ample supply of dopes with rights to keep and bear, speak, publish, associate freely, worship etc. The people who are opposed to those rights are unlikely to be persuaded by expressions of worry and ambivalence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back