oiling components

southernboy

Inactive
I'm going to disassemble my 1851 for the first time to clean all of the oil off from packaging. I've read on how to disassemble and wash but what about oiling the parts? All I have is RemOil. Is this safe to use? Again, I appriciate all of the help from everyone.

Ok, I did a search and seen that Remoil is okay in the action but not barrel and chambers. I guess I need to find some bore butter for that.

If thats all you have yes, most around the bp site will tell you virgin olive oil for short term, regular gun oil for long term storage. You might want to get some bore butter to help season the barrell and cylinder when you get a chance.rem oil will not hurt the barrell or cylinder just make it a little harder to clean after shooting.it reacts with the bp residue makes a stickymess that is harder to clean, but it is cleanable just need little more elbow grease.

What hillbille said. :cool: Make sure you clean all the gunk out of the chambers and nipples before you load it the first time. It's a booger to get all of it out. Once it's clean fire at least two caps off each nipple before you load it or you might be pulling balls like I did with my 60 Colt.

I use balistol to clean and lubricate all my C&Bs. Arbors are lubed with bore butter to keep the cylinder from binding up during a match. I've gone 10 stages before without relubing the arbor when using bore butter.

Pour two shots of JD. one i drink the other i take a Qtip and go through each cylinder. Removes the oil really good. Never had a missfire when i clean with JD Jack Daniels

ya but jack and i go back a long way. any how i have a good supply of jack too. however i hardly touch the stuff anymore. I remember as a kid my brother and i had this mini bike. basicly a lawnmower engine on a frame. well we used to use my dads gas for cutting the lawn in our mini bike. well that went as good as a whore in a church funraiser.

so we started mixing 1/2 gas and the rest we used my dads whiskey. which was kinda ok. Since he did not drink whiskey. He was a beer drinker. Any how we just keep draining the whiskey and refilled the whiskey with tea. that is until we blew the engine. we did not know at the time that alcohal runs a lot hotter then gasoline. well about 15 years later or so we are having a gathering at my parents house. My dad tells my brother to go get his old whiskey bottles. We both started laughing our heads off. Yep Well my father got a laugh out of it too. so i guess we were good. We ended up about a week later getting rid of all those whiskey bottles. Did not have the nerve to open up one to see how it smelled. 15 year old tea and whiskey mix. Shieeet come to think of it that was probably some caustic stuff in there.

Back