oiling bolt of a Rem 700

sar

Newby question. Where should I put oil on the bolt of my new 700?
Thanks for the help. The manual is unclear.

All you should need is to put a dab of oil (I use CLP) on a cleaning patch and rub the bolt down. It provides just enough lubrication but also helps to keep rust/corrosion away...

Edit: Some people will put a drop of oil in the Firing Pin hole but i don't do this. To me, it seems to gum up the firing pin with powder residue faster as the oil/lube attracts and holds the residue.

Last edited:
Light grease on the bolt and locking lugs. Also a small amount on the cocking cam at the rear of the body.

The firing pin and interior of the bolt should only receive dry lube. I prefer a moly-based dry lube that won't congeal in cold weather or pick up grit.

Using any oil inside the bolt can cause it to run down the firing pin, onto the primers, and kill them. WD40 is known for doing that. (I'm proud to say that I don't own any WD40.) I don't even like it on the exterior of guns because it gets very gummy with time.

"Also a small amount on the cocking cam at the rear of the body."

@picher: I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that. On a new rifle, I disassemble the bolt and polish the cam surface and cocking lug before applying a light wipe of grease. It seems to decrease the bolt lift effort.

Back