Oil lubricant

ivan9mm

Inactive
There has been lots of talk about Break Free CDP and I like it for general cleaning. After cleaning, I like to oil some of the high friction spots such as the slide.

What are some good oils? Anyone ever try Super Lube in the gray can?

Tetra Oil and Grease have both worked well for me. I also use some MPro7 (correct brand?) oil, which has been good as well.

I generally use Break Free, except on slide rails, where I use a light coat of RIG grease.

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

If you like synthetics, MilTec1 has worked well for me, as has Sentry Solutions dry lube. Whatever you choose, go light, oil attracks and holds dirt, grit & grime. M2

MilTec1 is an excellent oil for all parts. However on the slides of all of my guns, I use grease. It stays where you put it and I believe it gives better protection than oils. The grease I use is StaLube caliper grease. It is composed of moly, teflon and graphite. Molybendum disulphide (sp?) is the key ingredient. Any grease with moly will do a good job for you. You don't need alot, just enough to put a light film on the slide rails. Good luck.

Frank

MilTec1 oil sounds interesting. Anyone know where I can order it on the web. I don't think I've seen it available at my local gun retailer.

On the AGI Gunsmithing Video on the Sig, they recommend Breakfree CLP only. They add that if you wish to add something else, even though it's not needed, put a little Moly Disulphide on the rails.

The only think I still use oil on is my AR. Everything else gets whit liithium grease. It stays where I put it, dosen't evaporate off, and wipes off easily when it gets all gunkey. I'm very happy with it.

So many damn fine products to choose from. My choice for cleaning-Gun Scrubber. For light lubrication and waterproof protection I use BOESHIELD T-9 by Boeing. And RIG is hard to beat for slides etc.

------------------
From my cold dead hands.

I've been using the basic Hoppe's pistol cleaning kit with #9 and their oil. I use it to clean and lube my Sig P226 and HK USP40C. It seems to clean OK, and I haven't noticed any bad effects to the finish.

Is this crazy? Should I be using better stuff?

I'm ignorant in this category...

STI suggests a 50-50 ratio of Break Free and Slick 50 (shaken before use). I went to that and had a noticeable increase in slide speed and lower muzzle flip (things happened faster). So far so good.

Back