Oil/Lubricant in the Barrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skorzeny

For some time now, after each cleaning session, I have been putting a drop or two of oil on a patch and put it through once or twice my handgun barrels.

I've also heard from some who say that I should never oil barrels (or chambers, breech faces and so forth).

Yet others say that a little thin film of oil is okay on all metal surfaces (and is actually good for lubrication and protection).

Which side is right? Should I or should I not oil the barrels (or breech faces, for that matter)?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu

I always lightly coat my handgun barrels and other parts after cleaning. Ideally, it would be best to wipe oil out of the chamber before firing, but this is of more importance when dealing with rifles, where oil can cause an major increase in backthrust (due to the case not gripping the chamber walls as it needs to).

Jim

Add oil to the barrel if you plan to store the gun for an extended time, but wipe the barrel clean before firing.

I do not oil the barrels of my carry guns. The "BreakFree" Bore Cleaner that I use to clean them does a good job of protecting them.

DWM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back