Oh No! Why Do I Want One of These?

Bud Helms

I finally got to the Gibbs Rifle website to look at the Quest Extreme Carbine that Coinneach posted about a long time ago (two months?) and there was another rifle that totally hypnotized me! Gibbs' Sport Specialty Rifles

The Summit .45-70 Carbine! Oh jeez! I have never seen a .45-70 in a bolt action before. Yes, it's on an Enfield No. 4 action (locking lugs in the rear?).

But, $374.95 MSRP? Say, What? Can anyone comment on this price for me?

The Quest Extreme Carbine in .303 looks good too. But, I wonder how much of it's $275 price is for the useless doodads in the cute little buttstock storage compartment. Phooey.

smile.gif
More goodies for my wish list!

Re bolt action .45-70's. Eric Ching had this to say:...Forrest Halford of Gunsmoke Custom Gunsmithing in Colorado about options for a reasonably-priced .45-70 bolt-action
repeater. Seems like your best options are: the Siamese Mauser (of course), the P-14 Enfield (originally chambered for the .303 British), and the Mosin-Nagant (originally chambered for the 7.62x54R). Forrest
says that, other than rebarreling and chambering, most of the work is modifying the magazine box on these guns. I've heard of .45-70 conversions of the Lee-Enfield, and rumor has it that Navy Arms may be coming out with them soon.

In any case, if you're still interested in the project, I'd suggest you have a conversation with Forrest about it. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Spectre (edited April 17, 2000).]

i think these guns could also be built to take the hotter .450 marlin cartridge.one could even put a scout scope on them if he chooses.

sensop - As for the price, it's comparable to or less than some .22LR rifles that come to my mind.

The big question is do you NEED a large caliber 3 round assault carbine?
biggrin.gif

Oops! Sorry. Forgot. Make that
biggrin.gif
a
smile.gif

I have to admit -
biggrin.gif
... so toothy. It looks like a seasick beaver.

Cliff (about to drop major bucks on a Garand, tomorrow)

Navy Arms had .45-70 Enfield rifles and carbines in their catalog last year. Either No.1 or No. 4 action, checkered REAL walnut (not walnut stained hardwood like the Gibbs) Monte Carlo stock on the No.4 rifle, straight grip walnut stock on the carbines (both 1 & 4) Monte Carlo zytel stock on the No.1 rifle. 22" barrel on the rifles, 18" on the carbines Your choice - $375 suggested retail.

bergie
they did move the rear sights on both the No.1and No.4 to the barrel, just ahead of the reciever so you do lose the peep sight of the No.4

[This message has been edited by bergie (edited April 17, 2000).]

Seasick beaver. That's good.

Hell, Cliff, I don't NEED one ...
smile.gif
I just WANT it!

Bergie, thanks for that info. I'll check Shooters online and see if Navy Arms has a website.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 18, 2000).]

Back