Oh No! Plastic trigger group on 870MM.

DML

I received a NIB 870 Marine Magnum for some custom work and it had the new plastic (nylon? delrin?) trigger group. This is the first one I have seen that doesn't have an aluminum alloy trigger group. Oh well.....

It did not have the PC safety, so there may be hope.

The more I see of new shotguns, not limited to Remingtons, the more I appreciate my used ones.

One point, we ran a survey here a while back about plastic parts on shotguns. Other than a few safeties on Mossy 500s, no problems reported.

Esthetics aside, the plastic TG seems to function much as the alloy one did. In effect, forever...

A buddy of mine just won an 870 express at a charity shoot and i traded him some stuff for it. haven't taken it out of box yet but did notice that the pushthrough safety now has a key with it that can lock the safety. Trigger group may be plastic but i'll have to look closer to see...Dick

I never even looked that hard at the trigger group on my marine magnum. It does look and feel like some type of hard plastic. Oh well it doesn't matter it's still quite a good shotgun. Just out of curiousity what is the PC safety?

Politically Correct.

Ithaca's still use Steel!!! To be fair, the plastic trigger guard will likely wear as well as the aluminum part does. no metal-on-plastic moving parts that I am aware of. The parts move on steel pins which are secured to the trigger group.

Jadams, the PC safety is a new feature Remington brought out recently. The standard safety has been replaced with one that is keyed,and they supply little keys to lock and unlock this thing.

In theory, it's a good idea, BUT.....

First,there's no option for the old style safety.

Second, a number of people, including me, have been able to manipulate the safety until it locked on W/O the key. Since some of us believe we may need a shotgun that doesn't go to a safe condition in the middle of a crisis, we find that egregious.

Bad news, Remington will NOT sell you an old style safety, nor give you a choice.

Good news, the aftermarket safeties work fine, so do the safeties on used 870s built before the brass at Big Green forgot they were free citizens in a democracy and caved in to the previous administration's anti-gun demands.

Send a message, buy used 870s....

Glad my mm has the old style safety. Guess I'll have to keep this shotgun. AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHHH whom am I kidding I don't get rid of any of my firearms.

Couldn't one just look into getting one of the Police 870s?

Marine Magnum with it's nickel plated finish excluded ofcourse, gotta bite the bullet there though.

I did that very thing by going the PoliceMagnum route because I didn't want to have to hassle with some stupid little dimples in the magazine tube that limit the number of rounds I can have in the tube whether or not I have an extension on the shotgun. I also got a Police 870 because I didn't like all the crap I was hearing about how 870s were being shipped with the safety that had the little locking mechanism in it, I don't think they try that crap on a shotgun that is meant for LE patrol/duty use. The Police 870 that I have also has a metal trigger guard.

Now, the question is, did I receive an "old stock" 870 that has all these features left over from the "good times" where Remington actually didn't do crap like this. If anyone knows whether the Police models break with this new standard that Remington is setting for itself now is probably a good time to note it.

My buddy just ordered off a Marine Magnum. After playing around with my Police 870 with it's 20inch barrel and 7shot magazine tube he was chomping at the bit to get an 870, the Marine Magnum really caught his eye. We'll likely do our best to make it the least politically correct as possible.

Go here if you want to see the ugliest 870 you ever saw, god I love the color OD Green!
http://home.bak.rr.com/varmintcong/870P.html

[Edited by uglygun on 04-16-2001 at 11:25 PM]

Actually, uglygun, that 870 is rather attractive(G)...

I'll have to get Son to take some digital pics of Frankenstein, so you folks can see an 870 as ugly as Janet Reno in a thong(G)...

the plastic certainly is a cost cutting measure. My new wingmaster has pc saftey and metal trigger group. All wingmasters still have metal trigger groups. But more money of course.

My Remington skeet 1100 has a big hole where the safety used to be....i guess if i ever get into a jam with it i better have a good lawyer.....Hey-by the way did i ever tell you how good my lawyer is.....A buddy got picked up on a sodomy charge and this lawyer got it reduce to following too close.....Dick

Back