Oh my... I got a new .44

Deaf Smith

Lipsey’s Exclusive Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum with 3.75 Inch Barrel.

Just got it. I bet it is gonna hurt.

Anyone here fire this little SA cannons?

Deaf

New Gun Day! Congratulations!!!

This is semi-sacrilegious but a long time ago a friend of my father put a Pachmayer grip set on a Ruger Blackhawk and said he really liked it. :eek:

I've had one for a few years now. Probably my favorite little packin' pistol! As is typical of Rugers, if you plan to shoot cast bullets, I highly recommend fire lapping. I'm shooting a 250 Kieth bullet at about 1,200fps. Not an unpleasant load and very accurate.

So accurate in fact, that a few weeks ago out at the Linebaugh Big Bore Shoot, I was able to score a few hits (out of many attempts) on a buffalo silhouette at over 1,000 yards!

JW

The Bisley's not going to hurt. I've fired max load 300 grain bullets in mine with no problems.
Now, my 50th Anniversary Blackhawk with the plow grips, I need shooting gloves off the bench. Free hand is not so bad.

Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! (passes out e-cigars;))

This is semi-sacrilegious but a long time ago a friend of my father put a Pachmayer grip set on a Ruger Blackhawk and said he really liked it

your father's friend sounds like a smart fellow. :D

I don't consider it sacrilegious at all, as I never followed the cult of the Colt SAA. ALL my heavy "hawks" wear Pachmayer, (or they wear nothing at all! :rolleyes:)

Hope your new Ruger does what you want. Not for me, though, I've got no use for a .44magnum with that short a barrel.

Loaded up a bunch of 240 gr LSWC with 8 grains of Unique in magnum cases. I figure somewhere around 900 fps from that 3.75 inch barrel.

Will try them tomorrow!

Deaf

Every time I see one of these, it seems to look right at me and say, "take me home, you know you want to...." but I have yet to buy one. I guess I am a bit worried as far as the possible bite is concerned.

Please let me know how it shoots and what your impressions of it are after you put it through the paces.

Loaded up a bunch of 240 gr LSWC with 8 grains of Unique in magnum cases. I figure somewhere around 900 fps from that 3.75 inch barrel.
I'm partial to using 2400 instead of Unique for a load like that.
It's not as economical though since it takes about 17 grains instead of 8.

I had horrible leading (in fairness though - the leading was in shooting a Unique load in my Winchester Trapper) with Unique that vanished when I switched over to the slower/cooler burning 2400.

The 2400 load is also a lot less "snappy". It still has a decent "boom" and a pleasant "push" that lets you know you have more than a special.

FWIW - I shoot that load - as well as full boogie .44 mag loads - in my S&W M29 with a 4" barrel & the standard wood target grips. with no problems.

The only loads that are really uncomfortable are the fast stepping 180 grain loads. Those sting! :)

One Like This?

IMG_8235_zpsxlohvy9c.jpg

This is the only single action 44 magnum I have, and it's the best for recoil management. I don't much like shooting max loads in a 629 or even a Redhawk, because the "hump" of the double action grip frame puts much of the recoil force right against the web of your thumb. That doesn't happen with a single action, and the longer length of the Bisley grip puts more surface area against the palm of your hand than does the "plow handle" grip. Thus, the recoil force is better distributed. At least, that's the way it seems to me.

One thing to remember...if you shoot at a range, the bark of the revolver is pretty intense, so you'll need to either move away from other folks or at least warn them before you shoot.

I use mainly hardcast (92-6-2) 240 grain LSWC bullets in mine. A load of 10.5 grains of Unique is a good mid-range load.

Yep, JayCee, just like that one. Shot it today with 240gr LSWC and 8 gr. Unique. Shot just a tad to the left and somewhat high at 20 yards standing. 3 inch group (but then I was standing and I almost always do very poorly with single action revolvers cause of the long hammer fall.)

The sight happily was adjusted somewhat high and to the left. So, after a few clicks the sights shoot dead on and most happily the sights are centered on the gun. See I hate to see sights jacked to one side which I often see with SA Ruger revolvers.

So it's a go. And the Bisley grip is way ahead of the old plow handle! Way ahead. And that hammer is so easy to cock.

I'll do some picts tomorrow. I honesty don't see anything to change. Just works right as-is.

Oh, and this is my ONLY SA revolver. All others are DA/SA S&W and Rugers with a few Colts mixed in.

Deaf

Friend of mine just got one. I have not had an opportunity to try it out. Doubt I will. He's a old hand in the handgun game and has declared it his new all time favorite. His EDC now. A guy who has carried a Glock or a 1911 for decades.

Great gun, congrats. not everyone is the same. I personally cant shoot a bisley frame due to a large hand and a short trigger finger. They do not make an aftermarket grip for the bisley to reposition the hand like the hogue does on the plow handle frame. So I put hogue's on my blackhawks and sold the bisley. Now no bloody knuckles at the range.

Back